How do you say betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just about local dialect. Everyone says certain things different doesn't mean it's right or wrong. I'm sure there are hundreds of words that aren't pronounced correctly

There probably are, but that's just it- They're not pronounced correctly. That doesn't mean there's no correct pronunciation or that theres no right or wrong.

There probably are, but that's just it- They're not pronounced correctly. That doesn't mean there's no correct pronunciation or that theres no right or wrong.

True but no ones going to change how they talk. This thread is meant to be more of a survey than this is how you say it.

True but no ones going to change how they talk. This thread is meant to be more of a survey than this is how you say it.

+1!
I know there are tons of people out there that care about correct pronunciations, I'm normally one of them, but the English language has sooo many different pronunciations for similar words that you can't really blame anyone for saying something wrong. Just like read and read. I'm going to read a book or i just read a book. Same word, different pronunciation (and meaning, but that's besides the point) there are so many ways to say the same thing that it's hard to figure it out

+1!
I know there are tons of people out there that care about correct pronunciations, I'm normally one of them, but the English language has sooo many different pronunciations for similar words that you can't really blame anyone for saying something wrong. Just like read and read. I'm going to read a book or i just read a book. Same word, different pronunciation (and meaning, but that's besides the point) there are so many ways to say the same thing that it's hard to figure it out

I'm not blaming anyone for saying it wrong... All I'm saying is what the correct pronunciation is. And yeah, it can be confusing. (I don't think read and read is the same thing though :p) I was under the impression that the thread was asking how you say it as in how is it supposed to be said. Not how do YOU say it :p lol

This has been my point. Whether people like hearing it or not, there are CORRECT pronunciations of words. And just because a whole lot of people mispronounce them, it doesn't turn a wrong pronunciation into a right one. The same goes for spelling. I regularly encounter the misuse of there, their, and they're. Also your and you're.

Agreed, but you can't really get upset because the pronunciation is incorrect either considering the point I made above

And Fishfan, that is what the thread is asking lol

Oh so many good points in this thread. :D
I'm from Nj and we called them Beh- tas but people further North in New England call them Bay-tahs. Call them Siamese Fighting fish (Their original common name) and anyone who doesn't know what that is the one who should get that puzzled look. lol The proper pronunciation from the Latin name Betta is pronounced Beh-ta. Any Betta farmer in Asia that I have dealt with all pronounced it that way as well. I guess tho, if you get the right fish when you pronounce it, either way, gets the job done. The rest we can chalk up to accents ;) lol

Oh so many good points in this thread. :D
I'm from Nj and we called them Beh- tas but people further North in New England call them Bay-tahs. Call them Siamese Fighting fish (Their original common name) and anyone who doesn't know what that is the one who should get that puzzled look. lol The proper pronunciation from the Latin name Betta is pronounced Beh-ta. Any Betta farmer in Asia that I have dealt with all pronounced it that way as well. I guess tho, if you get the right fish when you pronounce it, either way, gets the job done. The rest we can chalk up to accents ;) lol

I'm from the Midwest. I'm considered to not have an accent xD.

dialect (NOUN)= the form of a language that is spoken in one area with grammar, words and pronunciation that may be different from other forms of the same language.

Dialects occur in nearly all languages with similar words being pronounced differently depending on location.

Personally I love travel and hearing different accents and how some words mean totally different things depending on where you are.

Agreed, but you can't really get upset because the pronunciation is incorrect either considering the point I made above

And Fishfan, that is what the thread is asking lol

Lol well yeah I realized that

This has been my point. Whether people like hearing it or not, there are CORRECT pronunciations of words. And just because a whole lot of people mispronounce them, it doesn't turn a wrong pronunciation into a right one. The same goes for spelling. I regularly encounter the misuse of there, their, and they're. Also your and you're.

Exactly!! Lol :)

Back
Top Bottom