How do you set up a brackish tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamurdad88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im setting up a 10 gal brackish tank and i have aquarium salt and i was wondering how much to put in.

depends on the level your fish are being kept at... check their salinity and then get it to that before adding them... not sure about much else... ill let someone else with experiance chime in.

you need marine salt, not aquarium salt. If the fish is in FW now, you want to raise the SG no more then .002/week. If you do more then that you risk killing off your biofilter and stressing your fish.

Is this for the green spotted puffer from your other post? If it is you will need a 30 gallon tank at the minimum in the near future.

You will need a hydrometer to measure salinity. The actual amount needed will be less then 1/8 cup per gallon. For my tank I use app. 1 2/3 cup for every 4.5 gallons and my SG stays betwwen 1.017 and 1.018. What I do is fill up a 5 gallon bucket with around 4 gallons water and add my premeasured salt. I mix it and then circulate it for an hour and take a SG reading. I then add plain water to get my desired SG.

Back
Top Bottom