Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do you stop a guppy fry hunger, if the fry can't see the food on the surface?

A fry just died this afternoon. I have realized it died of hunger, as the other five guppy fry didn't have any health problems. The dead fry didn't noticed there are food on the water surface, and it kept eating the algae at the bottom of the tank. This was all I know before it kept sinking to the bottom and died.

I am asking, how do I prevent the other fry from not able to see the food?

I don't like another fry to die of hunger again like this.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd recommend trying to buy some food that sinks, like "Hikari First Bites" or frozen brine shrimp.

Either that, or you can take your floating food and stir it with water until it sinks, and then add it to your tank.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they have liquid fry food at my lfs, i've tried it and all my fry survive...except for the ones that get eaten
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had luck with grinding up regular flakes to a fine powder. My filter swirls it around through the water.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, the trick is to make sure the grounded flake powder of food is able to sink gently to the bottom, and let the fry know food is coming down from above, right?

Won't they avoid eating the food, as they might think the food is spoiled from above?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp View Post
So, the trick is to make sure the grounded flake powder of food is able to sink gently to the bottom, and let the fry know food is coming down from above, right?

Won't they avoid eating the food, as they might think the food is spoiled from above?
Nope. Just like humans can taste and smell when our food is rotten - fish can tell the difference between rotten food, and fresh food that just doesn't float.

I had new Molly Fry (same general fish type as guppies) about 1 month ago, and I fed them a combination of:

"Hikari First Bites" - looks like putting sand in your water, but they gobble it up.

Powdered flake food - just put it in a Ziploc bag and grind it up with your fingers.

Fresh Brine Shrimp - Made a hatchery from instructions on YouTube, bought the eggs, and (then hatched the brine shrimp using the instructions before) adding them to the tank.

Baby Brine Shrimp are great for baby fish because:
--a. The shrimp swim around a little bit, which makes the babies chase them and get exercise.
--b. The shrimp are alive when you put them in your tank - so they don't go bad as fast as dead food.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately, feeding your fry with enough food is going to be a bit messy until they're old enough to clean their plates. That's why people usually keep fry in breeder boxes, or in separate tanks, to keep from making their main tank messy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright, thanks for the info.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainMako
Good to know for when I get my guppy tank, thanks guys.
Think I'll go with some sinking food, since I almost expect the guppies to breed.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use liquid food for all my fry, works great!

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness.
Lowryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i use hikari first bites, but because it floats for a sec, i put the food in a shot glass, then swish in a bit of tank water, then pour it in.. i do this for mollies, guppies, cichlids, platies etc.. usually the only deaths i get are from guppy fry being eaten (we don't separate the guppies)
hth

Tags
food, fry, guppy, guppy fry, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com