How do you store your Python?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myriam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wondering what everyone else does, 'coz it's probably better than what I'm doing now, which is bundling it up haphazardly and sticking it into a big bucket. Gives me flashbacks of winding up the Christmas lights...

There's got to be a better way, right?

I keep mine on one of those plastic hose reels that you buy for a garden hose. Got it at Wal Mart for about $15. It works great. Don't use the water connection on the hose reel though...it will restrict flow to the point that the Python won't work well.

I keep mine rolled up and in the plastic bag it came in. Python sells special pouches to store them in. William, they are so expensive because it is a specialty product and people who have this hobby use that - so there is a demand, therefore price is high. You should talk to my wife (PhD in economics) she explains me those things :) Same goes for razor blades - men use them and that is why we pay ridiculous $6 for 4 Gillette cartridges. Same goes for all kinds of specialty things

Actually, Lee makes a similar setup for less money. I have the faucet pumps from both systems and I can't tell any difference other than the color. I like the Lee connectors better. They are cheaper, easier to remove, and don't stretch the end of the hose out of shape. You can buy the vinyl tubing at Lowes or Home Depot.
CaptainGregor is right about the prices of this stuff though. Price parts for a boat or a 4 wheel drive. Just as bad if not worse than aquarium parts. They can charge what they do because we will pay it :cry: .

loganj, my Python is only 25' long, so I dunno if it would quite require a hose reel. What about those things at Target that are for Christmas lights? They are kind of reels, too. I'm going to check those out.

William, I bought mine at PetSmart for $25.99. Online that was their price, but in the store it was $39.99. I brought in the printed page from their site and they honored the price at the store. Saved me the S/H cost.

reason for why they cost so much is easy... supply and demand

if there is a big supply and a small demand they would be cheap and be able to find them everywhere. because of the pyhon name the amount on the sales floor is controled. that way there is not a huge supply of them and suck the demand will still be higher than supply which means people will spend more to buy them. same reason radioshack can sell x-box for $300 neer x-mas (everyone else out of them people will spend anything for it) and the reason that wrapping paper is so cheap after x-mas... nobody needs it anymore so huge supply low demand. i love economics!!!

PS couldn't hold the python joke back any longer... i leave mine in the 300 gal tank i have for it... if i let it out it might eat my cat.

Reason why they cost so much...

Just a couple of additional points on this subject. The reason its so expensive is that its a specialty product as someone pointed out above. The demand for this product is actually quite small. There are only so many people that have large enough aquariums that could benefit from using a python. However, the fixed costs necessary to make the product is the same regardless of how many the manufacturer makes (by fixed cost I'm referring to related heavy machinery, plastic molds, conveyors, etc.) Also, the direct raw materials can't be purchased in enough bulk to gain the large purchase discounts that most large volume manufacturers get. Accordingly, the product will be offered at a higher price than other products that are made of roughly the same materials (other products that are more in demand).

If there really was a larger demand than supply being offered such that the company was making massive profits then you'd see a number of product knockoffs appear (many more than are already available). Think about all the different brands of PH regulators, fish food, etc. You don't see it because most companies recognize the small market for such a product and don't feel its worth trying to compete with the Python makers and with the DIY peeps.

On a side note.... I don't have a Python and I wouldn't get one for my 55 gallon. I don't put straight tap water into my tank so I wouldn't get any benefit out of that feature. As for vacuming with it... my syphon gravel vacum works fine and I can attach my vacum to my filter so I can take my time vacuming (since the water isn't being removed... just filtered). That allows me to really get into the tough places without worrying about removing too much water.

:)

Hmmm... OstrichKiller. I think (but am not entirely sure) that Elecrobes was suggesting something a little more obscene. Correct me if I'm wrong!!!

The one thing I always make sure of is that all the water has drained from my python before I put it away. I'm most concerned that it'll get algae-ridden and icky, so I make sure to lift each five-foot section of the hose up high as I wrap it up and move towards the kitchen (where I attach the hose to the sink). When I get the the end, I find that I've managed to get a lot more otherwise-abandoned water out of the hosing.

I personally think if they had better advertising that they'd have a lot more demand. I didn't know what a python was or that it existed before reading about it here.

There is no functional difference in the Lee and Python brands. They both do the same job equally well. The Python has heavier three piece hose ends. The Lee has lighter simpler two piece hose ends. The Lee ends are easier to use IMO and that is about the only preference I have between the two.

i didn't feel the need for that type of humor but if that is what you want then here we go... i keep my python in my pants... ha ha ha... that is also what made the other one a little better is you were expecting this one. but oh well there you are then. :)

I'm the same as someone mentioned above. I just coil up my python grav vac and put it back in the plastic it came in. I scissor cut just the top part off. if you ripped it open I guess you can't do that. And unfortunately the Petsmart by my place did not honor the online price. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom