how do you tell if a pecostamus is pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_freak77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am a new user of this site and I am starting a new Aquarium. Its a 15 gal Low rise or sumthin like that. I bought a pecostamus from a local fish stoe and i haev no idea what sex it is. It has been acting normal sucking the walls and the gravel of the aquarium. Its all by itself right now because i havent bought any others. It now hides behind my plants i have and rubes its stomach around behind the plants on the gravel. I was just wonder what was going on with it. It comes out of hiding only to return seconds later. Please help me if you can.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :multi:

Your plecostomus, or pleco, is not pregnant - they do not bear live young like guppies do. Plecos lay eggs. If you have a female pleco, she could be carrying eggs, but generally, breeding is difficult in the aquarium. Do you know what kind of pleco it is, or have a picture? There are many, many species of plecos. To determine the sex of the pleco, you first should determine what species it is, and look at sexing guidelines for that species. The male and female of some species will have differences in fins, body size, head size or characteristics, etc.

Some plecos are nocturnal (active at night) and some are active and visible during the day. It is normal for plecos to stay at the bottom of the tank on the gravel, or rummage through the gravel looking for food. They also stick to the side of the tank as you've seen. They are bottom dwellers and usually don't swim through the water a lot like other fish do.

Here is an article to help you understand the nitrogen cycle your new tank will go through:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Here is an article about feeding vegetables to fish:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=42

When I had a pleco, he liked to eat broccoli, spinach leaves, green beans, zucchini, and algae wafers. Most plecos also like some driftwood to hide behind or rasp on.

Welcome to AA! Plecos are naturally shy and nocturnal animals. I don't know much about their breeding, there are other members here that have much knowledge in that area. They are egg layers I believe so pregnancy not an issue. He/she is trying to stir up food IMO. Do you have algae wafers for him? If not it would be a good idea as there is not enough algae for him to eat. Also have you considered fishless cycling? This is a great article on fishless cycling and how to do it. Pure ammonia can be used instead of shrimp. Once again welcome to AA!

This is a new fish I might have gotten it mabe 5-6 days ago. It was very active night and day always eating. Now it just sits back behind thos plants i told you about. Its fins will stand erect even though i couldn't get a picture of it. I did get a nice side view of it. If you could tell me what kind it is it would really be appreciated. [/img]

Attachments

• im000240_467.jpg
    im000240_467.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 609
I agree, looks like a common pleco.

Since your tank is new, it probably has very little to no algae for the pleco to eat. If you have not been supplementing it's diet, it may be getting weak for not eating in a number of days. They are scavengers that require a fair amount of food intake. You can buy a bag of algae wafers, or feed it any of the aforementioned green veggies.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom