How does everyone set there lighting timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Noon to midnight. I come home at lunch so I get to feed the fishies at wake up time, then when the tanks go out, I know it's my bedtime too.

On at 8:30, off at noon, on at 1:00, off at 8:30. The one hour gap helps discourage algae growth.

We run ours for 8 hours a day. It comes on at 07:00am since we're already awake and goes off at 03:00pm. This tank is in our bedroom and gets the afternoon light.

My wife turns them on around 8:30 AM and I turn the pred tank off around 8 PM but keep a lamp on near it so it simulates the sun dropping down as the light is much dimmer and the other tank around 9 PM.

lights on at noon till 9pm, then moonlights. we let the light from the living room window gradually light up the morning until we just turn it to full lights at noon

Jchillin said:
1000 to 2200.

Did you have to be different?

10:00 to 12:00, I want to grow alge for my shrimp, cuts down on the feeding :)

is it better to leave lights on longer to grow algae for my clown pleco? normally leave lights on from 1p-9p...dropped them down due to large algae problem, got the clown pleco, no algae at all now, hope he isn't starving?

9AM - 9PM.
12 on, 12 off.
Need the algae for my Oto's. ;)

What are moonlights?

They are small LCD light either blue or pale white sometimes red that emulate moonlight in a tank. My hoods came with them built in. I like the effect.

Fishyfanatic said:
On at 8:30, off at noon, on at 1:00, off at 8:30. The one hour gap helps discourage algae growth.

Sounds like an interesting idea. With my bad algae problem that just came about, do you think it may help me combat it? I was thinking on at 7:30am, off at 11:00am, on at 1pm, and off at 9pm. I like having the lights on before I go to work so I can feed the fish, and also after I get home til 9pm. So I thought maybe a 2 hour break at noon?

Back
Top Bottom