How does peat moss affect water chemistry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
So does it lower the GH by absorbing minerals from the water and at the same time releases tannic acid to lower the pH too? And how much should I add if I were to change the pH from 8.6 to 6.8 in a 24 gallon tropical freshwater tank?

1. Yes something like that. It does lower the GH but I don't know exactly how. Yes that is how it lowers pH. The GH drop also contributes to that I guess.

2. I don't think it could drop that greatly. But I'm not really sure.

You won't get that much of a drop by using Pete moss. Even then it will most likely be a slow process. Even if you do achieve your desired ph using Pete moss water changes will become problematic as you will most likely be adding tap water that could drastically alter ph.

How much it drops depends on how much you had and the buffering capacity (kh) of your water. To have a ph that high usually the kh is fairly high to although not always true.

Why do you want to lower ph? Most aquarium fish will adapt to most water supplies with a slow acclimatisation process although I would take extra care with ammonia traces with a ph that high.

If you desperately want to reduce the ph if your water you would be better off cutting your tap water with RODI water as you can keep the ph as stable as possible with each water change. Failing that. Choose fish that match your tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also bare in mind that the concentration of hydrogen ions at 6.8 is roughy 63 times greater than at 8.6. This means 6.8 is 63x more acidic than 8.6 depending on high you define acidity.

That's a pretty big shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom