How does this sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

OK So here is the rundown of what I know I need to do.

Get a 20lb bag of Eco Complete for my 30 gal hex.

Now, for lighting. I have a 2x36 Actinic and 10,000K fixture.
I am planning to turn it into a 2x32 6500K fixture, OR a 2x32 10,000K and 6500K fixture. Which works better? Is this too much light? I am planning on CO2.

CO2.... I was going to do the bottle DIY method. Now, should I put a powerhead into my tank, and instead of an air intake, can I hook the hose from the bottle up to the powerhead, or would it suck too much?

I think this will convert me over to FW just fine. I also still need to get test kits, and some tank accessories (Like a python) but other than that the actual tank I think thats all i need to do.

Sound good to you? Anything I need to change? Need to add anything?

If you do end up DIY, definitely consider 2x2liter bottles, and the powerhead diffuser works with moderate success.

Also as greenmaji stated you are gonna need to supply yur plants with extra nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium as well as the traces.

OK Ill get some fertilzer sometime too.

For now I will stick with my original lighting like Greenmaji reccomended and see how I do.

Good luck. A high light CO2 injected tank is more difficult to maintain than a SW reef, especially if one isn't willing to follow the solicited advice of his peers.

you can stick with the ligting you have now.. it will not grow that lush grass look you were posting in one of your other threads.. but.. if you do deside to swich out your bulbs out for two white ones you would have plenty of light to do a carpeting plant.. or any other very high light plant for that manner.. maintanice will go up though.. maybe you will be better off trying your hands at the medium light first.. and get that green thumb wet :p

I was thinking of leaving the lights as it is, and eventually swapping both bulbs for either both 10000 or both 6500 (Whatevery ou guys suggest)

Now then....

I was goign to buy some Eco Complete substrate. I hear I need to add pottassium and such things like that? Do I need to buy a FW element additive or will a general plant fertilizer work?

What do you reccomend me getting from here?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?N=2004+2021

What kind of a test kit should I get? So far I am going to order this one:http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=

I dont mind ordering from Big Als, as long as they have everything I need too, so either place works, just as long as I can just place 1 order (In other words, Ill find a company that has everything I need and just make 1 order).

As far as the test kit I would recommend going with this one instead. It has the GH, KH, and Phosphate tests that you'll want, especially once you make the switch to high light.

Right now I seem to be collecting the Flourish Fertilizers. So far I've got Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Nitrogen. I believe that www.gregwatson.com is the site that's recommended for less expensive ferts. I've haven't tried them as my tanks are very small, so they'd last way too long for me.

For more info on Fertilizers you might want to read the sticky at the top of the forum. It's go lots of great info on what to use when. Also this sitehas great info on what's causing various plant problems so you know what needs fixing.

The link to the dry fertilizers on gregwatson's site, people have a hard time finding it sometimes..

I always recomend the testkit that Purrbox is recomending for FW.. so I second it.. :p

Chuck's site is a exelllent resorce.. Im stilll lost by all the information hiding in it..LOL
Steve Hampton's site is very good as well.. :p it is very simple to navigate..just click the links near the top.. :p

Back
Top Bottom