how fast do bgk's grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kangarooooooooo

Aquarium Advice Regular
i've had a blackghost knife for about a year and he has benn the same size since i got him... around 4 inches. i'm wondering what there growing rate is.

I heard they grow pretty slow, but it also depends on water temperature. Fish (unless Dr. Innes is wrong) mature at a faster rate if they are in a certain water condition. Warm water fish mature faster at temperature toward the top of their water preference because it speeds up their metabolism and life cycle. ETC.
Just look to see what its prime conditions are and what your tank conditions are and remember that it grows slowly.

petsmart told me if i kept him on a high protein diet (frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, {and when their older beef heart is suppose to do wonders) i can expect him to grow a couple inches in a year.

i only feed mine frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, and make sure he gets enough too

i dont reccomend freeze dried as a permanent diet,

what do you feed yours?

hey if your a BGK fan, check out: allthingsknife.net its dedicated to knife fish, and has a forum like this one

thanks for the website!!!
and i feed mine flakes(doesn't eat them, jst the other fish do) bloodworms, shrimp pellets, and algae pellets(my bgk loves those for some reason, he sucks on them lol) and once in a whilei give them fresh veggies like romain lettuce or peas or cucumber etc.

i thought bgk's were strictly carnivorous...but what do i know, ive only had mine for a month, my pleco wont even tough algae waffers though, i have to put fresh cucumbers in

Thanks hc8719 for the new site information on ghost knifes... I've never given my rubber lip cucumbers.. I'll have to try that! The Rubber lip does eat the algae wafers... but so does my Silver dollar! I have had my black ghost knife for a month and I can tell he is growing.. He is getting longer! I was also told they are hard to keep but he has being doing great. I've only gotten him to eat out of my hand once so far haha! I feed my ghost knife "frozen brine shrimp" and "frozen bloodworms" I will stick them in his "hampster" tube and he will go right in there in start eating away.. He will grab a couple bites, go back to his "cave" hidout then go back in the tube for another bite! it's funny watching him!

my bgk isn't all shy like it's describe. mine is so curious and swims everywhere at all levels, he also eats from the surface of the water. he gets in the way when i'm trying to clean the tank too. and i think his favorite treat is peas. hahaha i have a weird one i guess...

+i posted a bunch of new pics of my bgk. hard to take pics of him. he's always moving

squirt my bgk does the same thing, i put leave some bloodworms and brineshrimp in the tank, he sticks his head out of his cave, sucks in a bloodworm, and pulls his head back into the cave before getting another bite. i also suspect he's behind the deaths of several ghost shrimp...

kangaroo...were are the pics?

I know how ya feel, my red tail shark has barely cleared 2 1/2 inches, I thought they got big until I realized that was the red finned shark that got to be over 6 inches

i found a new BGK forum, to make up for my crappy one eailier, there is a very interesting article on determining your BGK gender, as well as an interesting article on breeding attempts, and what conditions your tank should be in for breeding
(i know there almost impossible to breed in captivity, but this guy came as close as any)

let me know if any BGK fans from here join

http://bgk.proboards3.com/index.cgi

and here is the link to the article on determining gender/ and breeding attempts

dont mind the excessivly stuipd flashing background...you get use to it

Back
Top Bottom