How full is this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 50g tank. If I put the following fish in it, how full is it? 50%, 75%, 100%?

2 bristlenose
3 yoyo loaches
6 blue-eye rainbows
6 threadfin rainbows

I would like to leave it lightly stocked, but I don't want to go overboard (underboard?). I am considering adding a shark or some other mid-sized semi-aggressive to keep the schools in check, but don't want to overly stress them out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 100% stocked. But that doesn't mean anything. I also think you could add more fish if you feed them less and do more water changes. Stock level is determined more by bioload than anything and you have two plecos and I'd consider the yoyo somewhat high bioload also. Keep track of your nitrates, see how often you need to change your water to keep them in check that way when you add more fish you'll have a good idea of how much your load is increasing.

I think it is 50-75% stocked. The rainbows shouldn't get too large...and your bottom level isn't full. If you keep it like that it is lightly stocked. I'd add a couple more loaches and maybe a gourami. Be sure to stay away from nippy fish (semi-aggressive can mean nippy) because they will go after the threadfins fins.

I'd agree that the tank is about 75% stocked. If you want to add more fish you certainly can IMO. I would definately add 3 more yoyo loaches. The larger the group of loaches the more entertaining they are.

If you want to keep the rainbows in check, get 3 skunk loaches. They are awsome. I really like mine, and they are very active. Can hear them clicking across the house. Just a tad over 75% here...

Back
Top Bottom