How full is your tank? How important is the HOB "fall" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How important is it for an HOB to fall some distance into the tank to create turbulence / oxygenate the water?

I have an Aquaclear 70, and if I fill the tank to about a bit more than an inch from the rim, there's not much of a fall happening from the filter to the water surface.

I've not noticed any fish gasping or anything to make me think there's not enough oxygen, just wondering what the best "standard setup" is for this.

Tank Water Level

How important is it for an HOB to fall some distance into the tank to create turbulence / oxygenate the water?

I have an Aquaclear 70, and if I fill the tank to about a bit more than an inch from the rim, there's not much of a fall happening from the filter to the water surface.

I've not noticed any fish gasping or anything to make me think there's not enough oxygen, just wondering what the best "standard setup" is for this.

Hello Mash...

I fill my tanks to a bit below the rim. I change the tank water weekly and keep the filtration at roughly 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. If you'd feel better about the tank with a bit more oxygen added to the water, then add an air stone attached to an air pump. This will mix a bit more oxygen into the tank water.

B

I fill mine till the water touches the bottom of the filter at the out put. I hate noise. Never had a problem. I keep my tanks filtered at 10x gph.

I fill mine up to the top of the tank. Never had any issues. What type of fish are coming to the surface to gasp for air? There are many types of fish (guaramis, and paradise fish) to name a few that actually breathe air. And the come to the surface to take breaths. So depending on which fish are doing that, it may be normal

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I fill mine to the top the fall is not important at all because the water is oxygenated in the filter its self then introduced to the tank.

I try to keep an inch of air between the water level and the top of the aquarium. If there's no air space at the top, the oxygen concentration in the water will be lower. (Though it may still be high enough for the tank's stocking.)

Of course, if you leave more than an inch or so of space at the top, the filter output gets loud and creates more turbulence in the tank.

SFaquariums, none of the fish are gasping at the surface... I sometimes see the swordtails there but only for a bit so I don't think there is a problem. Just wondering what the optimum setup is..

River, are you referring to an Aquaclear filter? I was not aware that much oxygenation happens in there? Or do you have a different filter ?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

SFaquariums, none of the fish are gasping at the surface... I sometimes see the swordtails there but only for a bit so I don't think there is a problem. Just wondering what the optimum setup is..

River, are you referring to an Aquaclear filter? I was not aware that much oxygenation happens in there? Or do you have a different filter ?

I have moth Marine land and Aqueon Quiet Flow. The marine land has the bio wheels and spray bar which disturb the water and oxygenates plus if you look behind the media the water is being churned up and that oxygenates.

My quiet flow has the wet dry filter it drips through before entering the tank.

Basically when waters surface is being broken (which happens in the fileter) oxygen is being added. Bubbler's don't add oxygen to the water its when the bubbles break the waters surface is what causes oxygen to be added to the water.

On your aqua clear 70 when the water get sucked in and when comes up through the media oxygen get added to the water before it falls out the filter and as it is falling.

I have bubbler now but I hadn't had one in years the reason I have one now is I switched to a canister filter which is a closed system and no oxygen get added.

That's my bad! I had misread your post. I saw gasping, and kinda just assumed at the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom