How good are assassin snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A person on craigslist is selling assassin snails I've heard a lot about these snails especially that take care of pest snails
So people usually buy more than one I'm guessing they will reproduce?
Do they eat plants?
Do they eat up leftover food?
I have a mystery snail would they eat him?
And am I better off keeping the mystery snail and hope the snail problem doesn't get worse it's not that bad and I don't overfeed so I dont think the population will explode
But would it be better just to get 1 assassin snail?
Thanks

As far as I'm aware they do not attack any other snails that are bigger than themselves, which would include your Mystery Snail and Nerite Snails.

That's all I'm able to help you with I'm afraid though. :fish2:

A person on craigslist is selling assassin snails I've heard a lot about these snails especially that take care of pest snails
So people usually buy more than one I'm guessing they will reproduce?
Do they eat plants?
Do they eat up leftover food?
I have a mystery snail would they eat him?
And am I better off keeping the mystery snail and hope the snail problem doesn't get worse it's not that bad and I don't overfeed so I dont think the population will explode
But would it be better just to get 1 assassin snail?
Thanks

I bought 7 a few years ago. Now, I have about 30-40. It takes them a long time to spawn, not like the pest snails.

Tank size and snail problem size will determine how many to get.

They do not eat plants.

Mine eat algae wafers, frozen foods, basically anything I feed to my fish, although of course, they really prefer live food.

I've had one eat a very small mystery snail. If there's any size to the mystery, it won't be bothered.

LyndaB said:
I bought 7 a few years ago. Now, I have about 30-40. It takes them a long time to spawn, not like the pest snails.

Tank size and snail problem size will determine how many to get.

They do not eat plants.

Mine eat algae wafers, frozen foods, basically anything I feed to my fish, although of course, they really prefer live food.

I've had one eat a very small mystery snail. If there's any size to the mystery, it won't be bothered.

That's a lot :eek: lol
Well it's only a 10 gallon with just very few pond snails would 1 be good? I just dont want a lot of snails a mystery and assassin would be good

Yeah, just get one.

You'd be surprised at how teeny tiny the baby assassins are. They stay under the substrate for their first few months and when they come up, I need a magnifying glass to really look at them, they're that small. Then, I just share them with others. No biggie. ;)

LyndaB said:
Yeah, just get one.

You'd be surprised at how teeny tiny the baby assassins are. They stay under the substrate for their first few months and when they come up, I need a magnifying glass to really look at them, they're that small. Then, I just share them with others. No biggie. ;)

Ok now I just gotta make the drive
Awesome sounds like a cool little snail to have around then
Do they grow quickly?

I can't really say. When you have a bunch of them, you can't really tell who's who. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom