how heavy is too heavy? (more moving advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just moved my 55 gal community about 3 weeks ago into my new place. Everything went much better than I could have expected and life is grand. Then a few days ago I somehow killed the power outlet that the tank runs off. Oops. So I have an extension cord running accross my living room right now. The electrician is coming on Tuesday and my building manager said he would need to get to the outlet. Of course, there's 600 lbs of fish tank in front of it.

So my question... if I drained half my water a la weekly PWC, would the tank be un-heavy enough to slide the table its on out from the wall 2 or 3 feet? (just enough to squeeze an electrician in there) I would leave it there for the week and move it back during the next PWC. Any general advice? I really don't want to take all the fish out to move it.

shneww its a risk, thast alot of weight still, if you do attempt it, man be careful it doesn't tip over, if it wasme I would just tear it down and move it somewhere else and then movce it back when the electrician is done

That's still 300 Lbs of water in the tank. .... It's a bit risky, as you slosh the water around, the force on the glass might loosen a seal & create a leak.

It would be much safer to move everyone out to a big rubbermaid container & move an empty tank (or one with at most 10-20% water left)

I guess I wasn't pictuing a lot of sloshing. We only need to pull it out a few feet. There would be two of us and it would be over in a matter of seconds since we're both pretty strong. I know it would be better to totally tear down everything and move it, but I just don't think I can do it. Could I leave everyone in and take out 60 or 65 % of the water?

The other thing is that the tank is at ich treatment temp. and is planted. I know I would never catch the pleco again and the memory is still fresh as to how stressed out my fish all were when we moved.

Is it a cabinet stand? Could you use a drill/jig saw and cut a hole in the back of it? do you think it would still be structurally sound?

I second not moving the tank while more than 20% of water is in it.
Also, if you're treaking Ick, it makes that much harder as you have to keep the water up or it can kick back in. :-(

If you can slide thet ank on the hard-wood floor, Stand and all, it might be doable. But if its carpet and you have to lift it... I wouldn't even think of it.

Its hardwood. That's what I was picturing was a full tank/table slide. And its on a table which is solid pine, so definately nice and strong. I will post a pic later today when I get home. The ick is why I don't want to take the fish out. I can just reposition my heater so that it will still heat the low water level and no one has to face the net.

This really sucks. It is the worst possible time too... I barely have time to think let alone tear down and reset up my tank (again!)

What about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Men-8-Piece-Furniture-Slider/dp/B0000645RF

If you can have someone carefully tip the tank back a few inches and get these under the feet of your cabinet, you could slide it on the hardwood fairly easily. They make 'em for moving things like refrigerators and other heavy stuff, so you don't have to destroy yourself (and your drywall) trying to haul it through the house.

carefully tip the tank back a few inches

That sounds horrifyingly scary to me....no way I would attempt to tip a tank that big anywhere unless it was empty....

This may be a dumb question, and a pic would probably answer it, but if it's on a table, can you get at the outlet through the table legs? or is it more of a bookcase type thing with a solid back?

Personally I would drain all but 2-3 inches of water (may have to remove a few plants and things to give the fish some room) and then slide the tank VERY SLOWLY....you'll still slosh even when just sliding. I just moved my 55 and know exactly how stressed out my fish were too!

Thanks guys. I drained as much of the water as I could... it was probably at least 75% or maybe a bit more, but I kept 10 gallons in buckets so it could go back in. Then I lifted the table enough to slide a small towel under each leg so it would slide, pulled it out, re-leveled it (old house with uneven floors!) and refilled. Whole process took 2 hours, but I was getting really fussey about leveling it. I repositioned the heater so it was heating those few inches at the bottom. The fish didn't like it, but no more stressful than being bagged and driven home from the LFS.

Now, get this. Tonight, the electric outlet miraculously started working again (electrician is coming tomorrow morning). I figure its because I moved the tank. Of course... :lol:

That's kind of scary. May be a broken line. I know my grandparents old place actually used aluminium power lines. They had to get it checked every year for resistance, b/c any bend in the line added resistance, as well as the possibility of corrosion. Resistance = heat = housefire. It was also more prone to breaking. I guess it was a "fad" in the early 70's late 60's. They also snapped more easily.

How old is your building?

shayfish said:
Now, get this. Tonight, the electric outlet miraculously started working again (electrician is coming tomorrow morning). I figure its because I moved the tank. Of course... :lol:

It could very well be .... A heavy tank can shift the old floors a bit and maybe something got loose, or a wire got stretched just enough so a small internal break manifest itself.

Have the electrician check it out .... it would be a real bummer if the outlet quit as soon as you put the tank back!

jsoong said:
shayfish said:

It could very well be .... A heavy tank can shift the old floors a bit and maybe something got loose, or a wire got stretched just enough so a small internal break manifest itself.

Have the electrician check it out .... it would be a real bummer if the outlet quit as soon as you put the tank back!

Is it at all possible that the outlet is controlled by a wall switch (unbeknownst to you?)

clearerphish said:
Is it at all possible that the outlet is controlled by a wall switch (unbeknownst to you?)

Don't think this is as stupid as it sounds. In my parents place, long long ago, I found this "secret" switch hidden behind a bulkhead in the back of a closet (don't ask how I found it). For some reason this switch controled one outlet...ha ha...my dad yelling "hey, quit f*#%ing with the re- what? I've got the remote?"

I thankfully told him before the sparky arrived...ohhh, he would have beeen angry if that cost him money!

ahhhh hahaha... That reminds me of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.... WIth the 15000 lights on his house that just won't work?

You guys have to see it if you haven't. Its my familys traditional christmas movie. We all sit around and watch it.

Back
Top Bottom