Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How high can i fill my tank?

Just outta curiosity really. Ive noticed that most, if not all aquarium tanks ive ever seen don't have visible water lines due to the wood/plastic lid. I was wondering how high up you can, or should, fill a tank safely. My current tank is a 30gal tank with a pine lid. However the waterlinedoesn't reach the lid. There is still roughly another 5 1/2 inches of tank between the waterline and the top of the glass. (Plus another 5 inchs between the glass top and the lid). Is is wise to fill to the rim? I am really only enquiring as our floor is at a slight angle, making our tank look 'lop-sided'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_fish_tank1.jpg (16.2 KB, 2025 views)

Old 05-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA!

From your pic, it looks like the left side is the problem. I would suggest leveling it off. This can be done with a few pieces of wood directly under the stand. That will prevent problems in the future.

You should keep the water line just below the entry of your filter output. This allows for minimal splashing noise and just enough to aerate the tank. I assume you have an HOB.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I fill my tank up to about 3 inches from the top wich is about the size of the strip on aquarium. You can fill a little higher if tank is on slight angle , but I would not fill to rim. HTH
Old 05-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I fill my tanks to just above the bottom of the trim. You can use shims from HD to level the tank. I am not exactly sure, but I think the uneven pressure may not be good for the seams. I would welcome correction if I am wrong.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been filling mine pretty much to the top (as high as I can get it), is that not a good thing to do?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I fill all of my tanks just aboce the strip at the top of the tank, never completly to the brim though. I don't like the look of the water line.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kari, AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with going all the way to the top unless you have anabantoids such as Bettas, or fish that are prone to carpet surfing.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL! I've never had a problem doing it like that, but I'm definately no expert! Actually, I think I COULD fill mine a little fuller, but I stop at that line on the black liner at the top, the one that the hood sits on. Well, on my tank that HAS a hood, I leave a little space, but my goldie/pleco tanks don't have hoods. BUT! With the betta tank/bowls that don't have a lid...I knew my sons betta jumped out of his bowl a couple times, so with the bettas, I definately don't fill to the top, I stop about an inch or so from the rim.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What is 'carpet surfing'?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

another method I've heard for leveling is a dense thin foam pad between tank and stand. Of course you'd have to empty the tank but I've seen and heard that it works. I fill my tank to just above the top "strip" so no water line shows...

Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com