How high can i fill my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Honcho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just outta curiosity really. Ive noticed that most, if not all aquarium tanks ive ever seen don't have visible water lines due to the wood/plastic lid. I was wondering how high up you can, or should, fill a tank safely. My current tank is a 30gal tank with a pine lid. However the waterlinedoesn't reach the lid. There is still roughly another 5 1/2 inches of tank between the waterline and the top of the glass. (Plus another 5 inchs between the glass top and the lid). Is is wise to fill to the rim? I am really only enquiring as our floor is at a slight angle, making our tank look 'lop-sided'.

Attachments

• my_fish_tank1.jpg
    my_fish_tank1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,955
Welcome to AA!

From your pic, it looks like the left side is the problem. I would suggest leveling it off. This can be done with a few pieces of wood directly under the stand. That will prevent problems in the future.

You should keep the water line just below the entry of your filter output. This allows for minimal splashing noise and just enough to aerate the tank. I assume you have an HOB.

I fill my tank up to about 3 inches from the top wich is about the size of the strip on aquarium. You can fill a little higher if tank is on slight angle , but I would not fill to rim. HTH

I fill my tanks to just above the bottom of the trim. You can use shims from HD to level the tank. I am not exactly sure, but I think the uneven pressure may not be good for the seams. I would welcome correction if I am wrong.

I've been filling mine pretty much to the top (as high as I can get it), is that not a good thing to do?

I fill all of my tanks just aboce the strip at the top of the tank, never completly to the brim though. I don't like the look of the water line.

Kari, AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with going all the way to the top unless you have anabantoids such as Bettas, or fish that are prone to carpet surfing.

LOL! I've never had a problem doing it like that, but I'm definately no expert! Actually, I think I COULD fill mine a little fuller, but I stop at that line on the black liner at the top, the one that the hood sits on. Well, on my tank that HAS a hood, I leave a little space, but my goldie/pleco tanks don't have hoods. BUT! With the betta tank/bowls that don't have a lid...I knew my sons betta jumped out of his bowl a couple times, so with the bettas, I definately don't fill to the top, I stop about an inch or so from the rim.

another method I've heard for leveling is a dense thin foam pad between tank and stand. Of course you'd have to empty the tank but I've seen and heard that it works. I fill my tank to just above the top "strip" so no water line shows...

I think when fishyrican said 'carpet surfing', he was referring to fish that can/will jump out of a tank...onto the floor...hence the term 'carpet surfing'...that's actually what made me LOL in my responding post :lol:

i fill my tank all the way to the inner liner for the hood to go on (3/8" from the top)as for leveling i carefully tilted my stand with the tank at least half full and put cardboard pieces under the feet.

I have glass lids on my tank and there are glass "shelves", perhaps glass ledge is a better word, about 2" wide running arount the top of the aquarium. I fill the tank to about 0.25" from the glass lip/legde/shelf. It means that I can get the maximum volume out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom