How important is Ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw a post that said a Ph of 8.2 didn't matter and I was shocked. I've done a lot of research on the web about recommended Ph and very few are recommended above 7.5, and most appear to like it on the acid side. Here are my findings. I've been struggling to select fish to thrive within the same Ph range and then struggling to keep my Ph in that range. Bottom line: How much do I believe the numbers. Here are the numbers I've found:

Species Variety Ph
Angel Gold Veil 5.8-7.0
Angel Silver 5.8-7.0
Barb Cherry 6.0-7.0
Barb Gold 6.0-8.0
Barb Rosy 6.0-7.0
Barb Tinfoil 6.5-7
Bitterling Bitterling 7.0-8.0
Cat Chinese Algae Eater 6.8-7.4
Cat Corydoris, Sterba's 6.2-7.8
Cat Siamese Algae Eater 5.5-8
Cichlid Electric Blue 7.8-8.5
Cichlid Yellowfin Borleyi 8.0-9.0
Danio Giant 6.0-7.0
Danio Glowlight 6.5-7
Danio Turquoise 6.5-7
Danio Zebra 6.5-7.0
Discus Neon Blue 6.1-7.5
Gambusia Gambusia 6.5-7.5
Gorami Blue 6-8.8
Gorami Sparkling (or pygmy) 6.0-7.0
Guppy Black Phantom 5.5-8
Guppy Green Cobra 5.5-8
Guppy Red Cobra 5.5-8
Loach Black Kuhlii 6.0-6.5
Minnow Golden White Cloud 6.5-7.5
Minnow Rosy Red 7.0-8.0
Rainbow Axelrodi 6.5-7.2
Rainbow Bosemani 6.5-7.2
Rainbow Praecox 5.8-6.5
Rainbow Turquoise 6.5-7.2
Slv Dollar Silver Dollar 5.0-7.0
Slv Dollar Silver Dollar 5.0-7.0
Swordtail Assorted or specific 7-8.3
Tetra Black Skirt 6.0-7.5
Tetra Cardinal 5.5-7.5
Tetra Glass Bloodfin 6.0-8.0
Tetra Glowlight 5.5-7.0
Tetra Head&Tail Light 5.8-8.5
Tetra Lemon 6.0-7.5
Tetra Neon 5.0-7.0
Tetra Neon, jumbo 5.0-7.0
Tetra Penguin 5.8-8.5
Tetra Red Minor Serpae 6.0-7.5
Tetra Silvertip 5.8-8.5
Tetra Xray 6.0-7.0

With MOST fish, pH is not that important of a factor. MOST fish will do fine in a pH of 6.5-7.5 give or take. However, certain species of fish would prefer a slightly different pH. African cichlids would prefer a higher pH around 8.0 and slightly higher. Most fish from South America would prefer pH levels of 6.5 or so. The bottom line is, if the fish that you would like to keep have been acclimated to a certain pH, they will most likely do fine with that pH. pH is not really that large of a factor for most fish. For breeding purposes, pH can play a large role. I have heard that a lower pH inhibits the growth of fungi in the tank and thus on eggs. Some species of fish require a lower pH to induce spawning.

It really only matters for more fragile species (discus, neons), and for breeding purposes. If you want to get species compatible by ph you really only need to have two categories 5-7 and 7-9. How much that matters is questionable as well. In my area, almost all fish are acclimated to 8-9 as that's what stores have. There's no reason to buy them and put them in a tank with a lowered ph. That would shock them more than helping them.

I do not bother with pH. Fish adapt. I kept Angels, Rummies, Serpae's, and Cories in a pH 8.8. Now that I am injecting CO2 the level is down towards 7.0, but they were flourishing in 8.8.

Most fish can adapt pH levels. It is more important to have a stable pH than trying to keep it at a certain level. It will eventually find it's way to where it wants be anyway and it will be a constant battle to keep it where you want. Having fluctuating pH levels is far worse than having a stable one.

Here's how I look at it. Next time you're at your LFS ask them what pH this (random) tank is. Now point to one across the room. Unless its a SW compared to a FW or a specific species tank, the answer will be exactly the same. They've already been acclimated to a pH different from their native environment, and many are probably several generations removed from their native waters (fish farms).

As mentioned stability is really the key factor. Gentle acclimation into your home tank is also very important, but once there, it plays a very small role.

Back
Top Bottom