how long before my filter absorbs BB from borrowed media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeland

Aquarium Advice Regular
A little over month ago I seeded my filter (tetra ex45) with a borrowed sponge that I stuffed in behind the tetra filter pad. Tank cycled in a couple days and Ive had fish in the tank ever since.

All water parameters normal and Im doing 25% water changes 2× week. 20 gal high tank

How do I know if the BB has attached to my filter pad? Id like to take about half or so of the sponge and seed a 10 gallon tank.

What will my next step be when my filter pad starts to fall apart? Should I always have a second pad in the filter and just keep rotating out the old pad with a new one.

Hopefully I was clear about what my question was.

After a month your filter pad will be seeded but you can leave the original seeded media in the tank for 6 weeks if you really want to be safe but IMO 4 weeks will do.

What I would do with the 10g tank is use the original seeded pad you used.

And I prefer the rotating method with 2 filters pads as you described. That way you will always have a seeded pad in the filter.

After a month your filter pad will be seeded but you can leave the original seeded media in the tank for 6 weeks if you really want to be safe but IMO 4 weeks will do.

What I would do with the 10g tank is use the original seeded pad you used.

And I prefer the rotating method with 2 filters pads as you described. That way you will always have a seeded pad in the filter.

Thank you. I also used a piece of it to seed a 2.5 gallon tank for my daughter's betta that had been living in a bowl for a year. What a timesaver over having to go through a full fishless cycle.

One more thing, I'd like to make my own filter pads and I've read a bit about it. I understand I just use the frame that came with the filter and wrap it with some material. Then use a hot glue gun to seal it all up? Is it safe to use the hot glue gun? Also is polyester the best material to use?

Thanks again.

Honestly when I did that I got sheet or rolled filter floss and just cut pieces the proper size using the bought filter pad as my pattern. Then I would just attach it to the frame with a clippy and the water flow held it down. I have also just gotten a bag of 100% polyfill that you can get at Walmart, Target, or any craft store, pull off a wad and literally stuff it in the area the filter pad went. That stuff collects dirt like crazy. I personally wouldn't use any glue as IMO you really don't need to seal them unless your adding carbon or something inside the bag.

Cool thanks. My kids have a huge bag of polyester fiber fill. I will just fill the frame with that and stuff the old tetra pad behind it then repeat as needed.

Just check the polyfill weekly as it really can pick up a lot of small detris from the water. I use it in all my filters because not only is it economical to use but the dirtier it gets the smaller the particles it can filter out. It's really good for polishing the water but can get dirty really quick.

Back
Top Bottom