Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long before you feed new fish?

How long should you wait before you feed your new fish? Is it bad to give them a little food after a couple of hours? I heard that it could cause digestive tract problems and you should wait 24 hours... I just wonder when the last time was that they ate and want to make sure it doesn't get weak from lack of food.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to wvdeadhead
I've always waited until they get settled in and familiar with their new surroundings. I guess it's normally about 5-6 hours after they are released into the tank. But even then I only put a very small amount of food in the water. If they act hungry I may put a bit more, but if they don't seem interested in the food, I'll wait longer and try again.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I usually wait about 5 or 6 hours, then I feed lightly. Haven't had any problems so far.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Feed them in about 12 hours, that what works for me.

Dan
Old 11-26-2004, 06:24 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I would normally wait about 6 hours (doesn't matter when the fish were purchased ie: am/pm). Seems to work best.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:39 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I'll feed the tank at the usual time tonight then. It will be about 6 hours since I put him in when I feed them.

Tags
feed, long, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com