How long can a bacterial bloom last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been cloudy from a bacterial bloom for well over a week, with no sign of improving. In fact, I think it is getting worse!

I thought I had read that this typically can last a few days. But I am going on 10 DAYS. Anyone ever had a really long episode like this, or is it just my stinking luck?

Tell us more about the setup, fishless cycle?, what type of substrate?, sure it's bacterial? Lots of questions to get to an answer

Mine has been going on for over a month now. Very annoying but people keep saying that it is part of it. Obviously not the most glorious part hang in there.

Bacterial blooms can unfortunately even last a month but keep doing your pwc's and it should clear up for you soon!! Is this a fish in cycle or fish less cycle?

Hi, thanks for the replies. Here is some more info on my setup :

64 liter / 17 gallon cube tank
Eheim 2211 canister filter
2 x 11W lighting, for some low-light plants (anubias, java fern), sort of medium to heavily planted (all tied to roots / rocks)
I have two chunks of natural driftwood (all properly cleaned, scrubbed, and soaked in scalding hot water), a castle, and some rocks
A pair of apistogramma baenschi
Substrate is this : JBL Aqua Basis Plus | Aquarium Supplies
+ Black quartz sand on top
Fertilzers : EasyCarbo + JBL Ferropol + JBL Ferropol 24
I just (last night) added a UV sterilzer, thinking maybe this would help
Tap water is spring water which we produce on the property

Fishless cycle totally completed beginning October, fish added thereafter.

Previously I was heavily planted with roots plants (hence the Aqua Basis substrate). This failed miserably, ending in a horrible festival of what I think was brown hair algae and diatoms. Ripped out the plants, re-planted with more suitable plants, light-wise (some of my plants were medium light, which was at least part of the problem, I believe). Removed the bio CO2 system at the same time, as this was creating some leakage / mold problems.

Before I did the plant renovation, my *only* problem were the diatoms and the brown hair algae. When I removed the plants, I did a massive brushing off of diatoms from the decorations, and rinsed (in tank water) the plants that I was keeping to get diatoms off.

It seems to be no coincidence that my bacterial bloom problems started then. I must have upset the equilibrium or something when I moved things around. The cloudiness is milky white, and not green, which says bacterial bloom to me.

Otherwise, I am extremely faithful about tank maintenance. I do at least 2 PWC's per week. I have an Eheim battery operated gravel vac. My fish are so used to seeing it that it has now become a game for my male apisto.

I STILL have a very noticeable diatom problem, along with the bacterial bloom. My fish, throughout all this, are totally fine and have even (I believe) attempted to make babies amidst the brown and white crap. :fish2:

Any comments / advice will be appreciated! One thing I am wondering about is my substrate : now that I don't have rooted plants, is the Aqua Basis a problem (the nutrients in the medium are going nowhere as the plants are no longer rooted but all tied to rocks / driftwood).

Anything else you can think of to help me? :flowers:

Not to hijack your thread, but dont diatoms change the pH?

Diatoms and bacteria blooms are two things that all you can really do is hang in there.

Am trying!!! But any idea how long this might last? (getting desperate!)

Not to hijack your thread, but dont diatoms change the pH?

I am not sure; while I do keep tabs on the other parameters, I haven't been measuring pH with any regularity to compare. Would be interesting to know.

kindafishy said:
Am trying!!! But any idea how long this might last? (getting desperate!)

I am not sure; while I do keep tabs on the other parameters, I haven't been measuring pH with any regularity to compare. Would be interesting to know.

I'm sorry one week/day it's there the next it's not. Hang in there. I had horrific diatoms in my 8g for months after I set it up then one day I looked over at it and realized they where gone!
I have heard one thing though. If try are constant and persistent in an older tank they may be from silicates in the water your adding during PWC.

Update

My water is now crystal clear!!! :fish2:

I can't be entirely certain if this is why BUT within a couple of days of adding my UV Sterilzer, my bacteria bloom problem was gone AND I had way less diatoms.

It could just be because I waited it out, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it has a lot to do with the UV Sterilizer. Within just hours of setting it up, I saw improvement.

So here is a little PSA to say if you are on the fence about buying a sterilizer I say DO IT -- totally worth it!

And now, for a kindafishy mywaterisclear happy dance : :dance:

kindafishy said:
My water is now crystal clear!!! :fish2:

I can't be entirely certain if this is why BUT within a couple of days of adding my UV Sterilzer, my bacteria bloom problem was gone AND I had way less diatoms.

It could just be because I waited it out, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it has a lot to do with the UV Sterilizer. Within just hours of setting it up, I saw improvement.

So here is a little PSA to say if you are on the fence about buying a sterilizer I say DO IT -- totally worth it!

And now, for a kindafishy mywaterisclear happy dance : :dance:

Which uv sterilizer did you get

Back
Top Bottom