How long can a Betta live without eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will right now he is in the bowl but I will take this opp to clean out all the gravel etc from his tank and fill with fresh water......is there any harm in puting him back in new water (silly question but needs to be asked)

How do you guys get the peas to float? They sink right the bottom for me :( I have speared 2 and have them omm floating on a toothpick for now as pic shows....pretty sick looking betta eh?

He is very thin...not bloted..I think he is just shuttung down although he is swimming around bowl a bit...water in bowl is from his tank...he is breathing pretty heavy also

img_760861_0_a227914953cd9914b7c9732bdc4d2413.jpg

img_760861_1_1c3651380d7848f494a05828bbcebda6.jpg

EDIT: Ok back in his tank...no gravel..no nothing but filter with new carbon media and his heater

I'll try the floating pea mush on the ends of a toothpick since I can't float them on their own..

Is there any other reason a betta won't eat beside constipated?

Can anyone tell me a better way to try to get peas to float? Thy just sink like a rock when I put them in the tank

Still not eating...turns nose up to peas, bloodworms, betta bits

img_761452_0_6d6d2438e2ce32f721422244040e9d84.jpg

Good news... he is pooping! Well lets just say it looks like a small jelly bean and it is still attached to him...how did something that big come out of him? Jeez I hope it isn't his insides popping out :(

Hopefully it will separate overnight and detach from him...it is sort of tan colored with dark stuff in the middle...looks like an embryo???

Well this is good news I hope...I did buy some Epsom salt but will not use it unless I have to

Wow...well, at least his digestive system is moving, or so we hope.

Be sure to soak the betta bits or bloodworms in a bit of tank water for 2- 2 1/2 minutes before feeding. (the bloodworms, if they are freeze-dried, only need soaking for 20-30 seconds).

Are you boiling the peas long enough? I boil mine for 4 1/2 minutes on high in the microwave. I dump the hot water out of the measuring cup and put cold water in a few times until the peas are cool. Peel the skin away, as others have mentioned, and cut up the pea in very small pieces, only as big as his betta bites. They will float for a few seconds this way. I know it's tedious to cut a pea up, but I can do it in 5 seconds now :wink: Cut more than you want to feed because a few pieces will fall down to the bottom. I feed peas on Saturday and do a water change on Sunday so I can get the pea pieces that fell out.

He does not look bloated from the picture. Since he eliminated this large poop, I would not feed him tomorrow. or the next day. After that, I would try to feed him either the bloodworms or the betta bites - whichever one catches his attention. It seems like he's a bit prone to constipation so get him used to peas too if you can. I feed my bettas peas once a week as a preventative measure. You may consider feeding peas twice a week for a few weeks to make sure he's "regular". Be careful not to overfeed. Since he hasn't really eaten for awhile, when he starts eating, you may be tempted to feed a lot but just stick with a regular, normal-size feeding. I have read that the betta's stomach is only about as big as their eye. The first week that I fed my bettas peas, they spit them out. Then the second week, they ate the peas greedily!

Wow...well, at least his digestive system is moving, or so we hope.

Be sure to soak the betta bits or bloodworms in a bit of tank water for 2- 2 1/2 minutes before feeding. (the bloodworms, if they are freeze-dried, only need soaking for 20-30 seconds).

Are you boiling the peas long enough? I boil mine for 4 1/2 minutes on high in the microwave. I dump the hot water out of the measuring cup and put cold water in a few times until the peas are cool. Peel the skin away, as others have mentioned, and cut up the pea in very small pieces, only as big as his betta bites. They will float for a few seconds this way. I know it's tedious to cut a pea up, but I can do it in 5 seconds now :wink: Cut more than you want to feed because a few pieces will fall down to the bottom. I feed peas on Saturday and do a water change on Sunday so I can get the pea pieces that fell out.

He does not look bloated from the picture. Since he eliminated this large poop, I would not feed him tomorrow. or the next day. After that, I would try to feed him either the bloodworms or the betta bites - whichever one catches his attention. It seems like he's a bit prone to constipation so get him used to peas too if you can. I feed my bettas peas once a week as a preventative measure. You may consider feeding peas twice a week for a few weeks to make sure he's "regular". Be careful not to overfeed. Since he hasn't really eaten for awhile, when he starts eating, you may be tempted to feed a lot but just stick with a regular, normal-size feeding. I have read that the betta's stomach is only about as big as their eye. The first week that I fed my bettas peas, they spit them out. Then the second week, they ate the peas greedily!

Back
Top Bottom