How long can a fish survive out of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently in the process of merging the fish from two 25 gal tanks into a 65 gal... I was aclimatizing my fire eel in a cup partially sumerged in the tank with a net over it. the eel was strong enough to 'kick' the net off the cut and jump out falling onto the carpet floor... I was watching tv... Im not sure how much time passed but when I went to put him into the tank oviously he wasn't in the cup... I freaked!!! but quickly found him on the floor picked him up and chucked him in the tank.... he was a bit of a mess to begin with breathing very heavily, had lint stuck to him and wasn't moving much

Its now 1 full day later and he seems to have returned to normal... he isn't eating but im not worried yet as he just moved tanks...

I really hope he is okay

From what i have heard, eels are one of the better fish out of water, there protective slime prevents them froom drying out as qiuckly. As for eating, i wouldnt worry about it. eels can live quite a while without food, and it is probably just getting aclimated. I would do a water change to get the carpet fuzz and other thing that got stuck to the eel, out of the tank.

Thanks for the quick reply

Because its a new tank I will be doing water changes probably every night for awhile... Ive got a 7.6x per hour change over rate with established filter media which im hoping will speed up the time to get steady cycling up

Back
Top Bottom