How long can fish go without food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going on a 11 day vacation and was wondering if my fish can go that long without food. I have no one to come over to feed them, so thats not an option. I will have a timer on the lights though, and the lights will be on 6 hours a day. I was wondering if I should buy an automatic feeder for my tanks, or if the fish will be alright for 11 days. What do you guys think?

I was always told that the mininum a fish can go with out food is 4 - 5 days depending on the fish. They also make this food tablet that you hang on your walls, but not all fish likes that stuff. Im sure a veteran hobbyist can you with your dilemma. Good luck!!

They will last quite a bit longer than 4 or 5 days although it's not good for them. I would do multiple large water changes to get the nitrates as low as possible and use an automatic feeder.

One thing be sure to get the automatic feeder and use it for about a week before so you can make sure it's operating properly and dosing the amount of food you want. You don't want to find out it isn't working properly when you come home.

Back
Top Bottom