How long can FW fish survive in stores baggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaindioux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I am going to Tampa from Atlanta next month. I will be visiting the top local fish stores.
If I buy freshwater fish on my final day before to hit the road, how long can they survive in baggies?
Is the car temp warm enough or not too cold for them if running A/C?
The drive is 8-9 hours. I would be asking the store to place them each in large bags with lots of air in the bag.
Can it be done? I hate killing fish and won't do it if it's too long.

Thanks

Patrick

Assuming it's room temp you should be good for 30minutes - hour. Bring with you a cooler, like the kind you use when icing drinks or whatever and if they have em request kordon breather bags.

With regular plastic barrier bags, they won't last long... Kordon breather bags are the way to go, or even a bucket with a battery powered air pump.

If you want to pick up some bags before you head down (in case they have none), you can get them for fairly cheap here:
Home

Hi

I heard of these bags, they are neat. What kind of water do I put in the cooler if I go this route?
Regular tap water from the hotel with some conditionner in it?
Will the water temp in the cooler/bucket be warm enough?

Thanks for the help guys!

Patrick

If you are going the bucket or cooler route, I would ask if you could get water at the LFS where you make your purchase... 1 less acclimation for the fish to deal with.

For 9 hours though, I would highly recommend picking up a battery powered air pump... they are easy to come by on ebay or elsewhere on the net.

Ok on the battery air pump, I used to own one they work great.
The fish store water, I actually thought of that, I guess it will depend on the store clerk/owner really.

I appreciate the help

Patrick

If you can, make your way down to Tamarac FL. there is this awesome lfs called AllFish Emporium. It's only 3 hours away from Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone

i moved my fish 12 hours if you get O2 in the bag preferably a larger bag with more water and it was sealed properly and put in a cooler they can last that long no problem just make shure you ask them to not feed the fish you are getting for a few days so they wont let off alot of waste in the bag... thats how they ship fish over from asia even cross country just make shure you get O2 and they are in a cooler and they should be fine just open the bags when you are aclimating them to your tank so they will be ok

Hi

Thanks guys. Tamarac is too far but thanks. I am going to the auction next week-end but just in case I find something amazing down there I want to be ready.
OK on the O2 tip, thanks so much.

Patrick

ejaramillo01 said:
So, when your order online, how they are able to send you fish, sometimes up to 3 days in the road, and still arrive alive?

When you order online, they ship in gas permeable breather bags. Most LFS don't use them for pos purchases as they are cost prohibitive.

larger fish that will freek out and hurt them selfs in the bags are ususaly the ones they sedate but anything smaller then a large african cichlid in a bag by its self should be fine i moved 2 piranhas in a 5 galon bucket in a bag with O2 they lived and are perfectly healthy right now

Back
Top Bottom