How long can I keep my fish in a bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Im moving my fish tank tonight and was wondering how long I can keep my fish in bags for?
The tank has to come down the stairs so i need to remove all the sand and water, so its going to take a good couple of hours... (i will of course keep about 50% of the water and keep the sand wet too)

Any ideas how best to do this? Heres what i need to move
1 angelfish
1 dwarf gourami
1 bolivian ram
1 keyhole cichlid
1 rainbow shark
5 cherry barbs
6 harlies
1 bn plec

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406542692.056007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They will be fine for a few hours. You could just stick them in a Rubbermaid tote or buckets though. It'd be easier.

A bucket, or a trough should be a better idea than a bag especially when the tank is being moved around the house.

Thanks guys, they are going to a different house though, would it not be safer to transport them in bags than a bucket?

It would probably be a lot easier/safer in bags if you're transporting them by car. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about spillage! You could always get a bin/bucket ready at the new place to put them in!

Fish are fun!! ???

My only concern would be oxygenation. Try to leave at least half the bag filled with air and don't overstock the bags. They should be fine for a few hours that way.

If you're transporting them within a reasonable distance I'd just use a cooler personally. But there's no reason the bags wouldn't work

Can you get them oxygenated in the plastic bag from a nearby pet store . I use the same technique if I have to transport them .

Thanks for your help guys all moved safely :):)

If you're interested i opted for a bucket! :)

Hi all,

Im moving my fish tank tonight and was wondering how long I can keep my fish in bags for?
The tank has to come down the stairs so i need to remove all the sand and water, so its going to take a good couple of hours... (i will of course keep about 50% of the water and keep the sand wet too)

Any ideas how best to do this? Heres what i need to move
1 angelfish
1 dwarf gourami
1 bolivian ram
1 keyhole cichlid
1 rainbow shark
5 cherry barbs
6 harlies
1 bn plec

View attachment 244698

Why not put them in a large polybox rather than bags