How long do fish (Neon Tetras) live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long do fish (Neon Tetras) live?
I have a well established tank with all the proper parameters (measured by liquid test kit), nothing new added to tank in many many months (6 months or more) and that was simply adding additional plants. 3/4 water change done weekly.

Last week I had 2 neon tetras die a day apart. I usually lose 1 or 2 fish year but never 2 a day apart. Neither fish appeared distressed or ill and they were 2 of the older neons in the tank (I would say 3 or more years old).

How long do Neon's normally live? I'm wondering if it is just old age or fi there is a problem lurking in the tank?

The tank can be viewed by our fishcam

I've also researched the lifespan charts and found that I have kept fish that "Over achieved" and those that "Under achieved". IMO, if you sustained a fragile tetra like a Neon for three plus years, it lived a full life, and probaby just aged out.

Just to be safe I have been testing for frequently and doing extra water changes.

To be honest I find neons to be very very delicate. People always talk about how delicate a discus fish is but really neons in my opinion are very fragile and sensitive.

More dead

I came into the office this evening and there was another dead neon and a dead guy.

Both these fish have been in the tank for a very long time but I find it odd that I have lost 4 fish in a week.

I immediately took reading (liquid test kit) and it is as it always is

Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0
Ammonia - 0
High Range 7.4-7.8 (out of tap 7.4)
Ph - 7.6 (out of tap 7.6)
Phosphate - 0

These readings have been consistent for a long long time.

I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Maybe you have some disease broke in tank. I don't know how to check that tbh

No signs of anything disease that I can see. Nothing could have gotten into the water (windex, etc) as I do not use anything like that near the aquarium.There is really no way to find out about the tap water, you just get passed from person to person.

I've tested the tap water for ammonia, Ph, High Ph and Phosphates and there seems to be no problem. I'm quite perplexed by the whole thing.

You have a very nice, obviously well maintained tank. If your other fish are healthy, I would just write the Neons off and look forward to restocking with other colorful, more durable tetras.

With neons I had very bad experience and finally managed to keep them alive and healthy when tank is full with plants.

I'd QT neons right when I get them because everytime I buy them they have some type of disease. When you but them treat it as they already have a disease. Helps save than and your other fish. How new is your tank? Is it cycled? A lot of fish for from bad acclamation or high ammonia/uncycled tank. They are not very hardy fish, on the same level as is rate GBRs they need a tank that has been setup for around 3 months before adding them to give them the best chance of survival!

I hope yours survives!

I'd QT neons right when I get them because everytime I buy them they have some type of disease. When you but them treat it as they already have a disease. Helps save than and your other fish. How new is your tank? Is it cycled? A lot of fish for from bad acclamation or high ammonia/uncycled tank. They are not very hardy fish, on the same level as is rate GBRs they need a tank that has been setup for around 3 months before adding them to give them the best chance of survival!

I hope yours survives!
Yes its the best reply. I am keeping German and electric blue rams with success because I have now old tank. Neons always died when I set up new tank even when all water parameters were fine. Just give them lots of plants and buy from another LFS this time.

What is your tank temp? Neons like it in the cooler range (76F). If your tank temp is 80F or higher their life span will greatly be reduced.

Back
Top Bottom