How long Do I Seed My Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting up 2 tanks a 40gallon and a 29 gallon, They will both be using sponge filters and of right now I have the filters in my 75 gallon seeding BB. My question is how long should I leave the filters in the tank? also the filters are running not just floating. My goal is to be able to just toss them in my other 2 tanks and have them be cycled.

I'm probably going to be in a similar boat as I'm considering getting a small sponge for a 10gal I want to set up for my son. If I do it as you are, I'd run the sponge for a couple of weeks in your main tank to really ensure BB colonizes the sponge. The good thing about this method is it basically means instant cycled tank.

Or ... I may just grab some substrate and dump it in a media bag close to the sponge in the 10gal. Eventually the BB in the substrate will work it's way to the sponge. This way I can have BB in the tank with the sponge running and some stock to generate the ammo.

I try to seed for 3 weeks, but I've seeded for as little as 2, using your method. I was instantly cycled. Just keep in mind that if you're seeding for two new filters in your 75, when you're done, the 75 filter and the two new ones will each contain about 1/3 of the bacteria available (from what I understand).

Be sure to stock your new tanks slowly to allow for bb growth.

well I have 2 sponge filters and a fluval 405 so I wouldnt think the sponges would have the same amount of BB as the 405? also Im not going to create a mini cycle when I remove them am I? if not should I just remove one then wait a week to remove the other?

Again, it's just my understanding having seen others much more knowledgeable explain it. It does make sense. If you throw 3 sponges into a puddle, they'll all absorb roughly the same amount, right?

In your large tank, there's only so much BB to distribute between the 3 filters.

ok so let say this: i have some dish washing scrubbing pads (the green ones) on two of the baskets of my ceramic rings of my fluval 404 so if im gonna seed a filter can i just grab one and place it inside the filter (hob) and how long will it take a 29 gallon to cycle with it??????????

LyndaB said:
Again, it's just my understanding having seen others much more knowledgeable explain it. It does make sense. If you throw 3 sponges into a puddle, they'll all absorb roughly the same amount, right?

In your large tank, there's only so much BB to distribute between the 3 filters.

I would think that it would depend on the total available surface are and flow rather than number of filters. The surface area of the sponges probable trifles in comparison to the biomedia of canister. Then add in flow and...

Your canister should still have healthy bb colonies on that. Once excessive nitrogen waste becomes available, they can start doubling to accomidate. You might have 48 hours of detectable nitrite, but in a tank that size it shouldn't be a huge issue.

well I have 2 sponge filters and a fluval 405 so I wouldnt think the sponges would have the same amount of BB as the 405? also Im not going to create a mini cycle when I remove them am I? if not should I just remove one then wait a week to remove the other?

I wouldn't worry too much about a mini cycle... BB grows more in response to Bio-Load so they won't necessarily multiply just to fill the new surface area provided by the sponge.

I'd wager the majority of your BB is in the Canister and are staying put so any new BB that seeds the sponges are coming from the few that are in the water column ... sure they'll multiply some, but if the Bio-load is the same it's not the same as putting a new sponge in an unestablished tank where new BB has all of Ammo.

When I seeded my 56g, I took about 6oz of bio-max from another tank and split it between my two filters. With plants in the tank, this was enough to avoid a cycle even with three 4" fish in the tank right at the start.

so do you think I could just seed it for 2 weeks? or should I do it longer then that? I just honestly want it out of my tank because its ugly and makes to much noise in my room.

Back
Top Bottom