How long do I stand tap water before doing a PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

Can anyone advise me how long I should leave a bucket of tap water between taking it out the tap and using it for a PWC? I did a PWC this morning, having left the water for 24 hours to come to room temperature, but it was still significantly colder than the water in the aquarium. To be honest I'd rather not have new water standing around in buckets for days on end, but then I don't want to stress the fish out with sudden temperature changes either.

Are you leaving the water out to evaporate chlorine or just to bring it up to temperature? Is there a reason, like old corroded pipes, why your not using some water from the hot tap mixed with the cold to bring it up to temperature? You can boil the kettle or microwave some water and add it to the cold to warm it up. You could also purchase a submersible tank heater to heat the water in the buckets.

Thanks Mumma for the quick reply! Um, both, I guess. I wasn't sure if there was any problem with using the hot water (does it pick up heavy metal going through the boiler or anything?). If i can just add some hot to bring it to the correct temperature than I'll do that. And given that I'm adding Tetra Aquasafe as well to sort out the chlorine, is there any need to leave it standing at all?

bbay said:
Thanks Mumma for the quick reply! Um, both, I guess. I wasn't sure if there was any problem with using the hot water (does it pick up heavy metal going through the boiler or anything?). If i can just add some hot to bring it to the correct temperature than I'll do that. And given that I'm adding Tetra Aquasafe as well to sort out the chlorine, is there any need to leave it standing at all?

Unless you have a really old water heater or old pipes there is nothing to worry about. If you are worried about heavy metals you can switch water conditioners to seachem Prime. It's binds heavy metals. Since you are using a dechlorinator/conditioner there is no need to let it sit out at all. :)

Thanks!

Thanks for that - a splash of water from the kettle it is then. Incidentally, the Tetra Aquasafe says that it also binds heavy metals, is there any particular advantage of the Prime?:thanks:

Prime is more concentrated and the same size bottle will last longer when compared to another brand.

Not trying to take over the thread here but I was curious those of you who use prime do you let the water sit at all before adding it. On the bottle it doesn't say you have to wait at all before adding it. Just curious.

I use a python to drain and refill, and add my prime as soon as I begin the refill process.

Back
Top Bottom