How long do platys last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

username

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey peeps?! I had a red platy, and she died a few days ago. She looked perfectly normal. I had her for a year. First off did she did of old age? second, how long do they usually last?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399862442.381079.jpg
Thanks!

Your Livebearer

Hey peeps��! I had a red platy, and she died a few days ago. She looked perfectly normal. I had her for a year. First off did she did of old age? second, how long do they usually last?View attachment 236957
Thanks!

Hello user...

I'd say the life span of your Platy is about right. Some in optimum conditions and cooler water, can live up to 18 months. But, that's the most I've noticed with my livebearers. Generally, if you keep your fish in water between 68 to 72 degrees, they'll live a bit longer than the same fish living in warmer water, say between 76 to 78 degrees.

Just change a lot of tank water and change it often and your fish will be healthy.

B

The longest I've had a paltry was 2.5 years, that was one born and raised in my tank. His parents died shortly after he was born, and his brothers/sisters died off gradually over the next year or two.

Back
Top Bottom