How long does activated carbon last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoSinister

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question...how long before the activated carbon in a small HOB filter is exhausted? I'd like to melafix one of my small tanks, but don't want to lose the culture in the floss.

Thanks and happy holidays :)

I think about 6 months. Unless you're trying to remove medication/colors/tannins from the water, then you don't have to use carbon.

I change my AC monthly when I use it.

If the AC is inside the filter cartridge, you can cut it out of the cartridge by making a slit in the material and shaking it out. If you want to treat a tank, remove the carbon.

I would not use it for more than just a couple of days. Carbon loses its properties in water. As this happens its adsorption quality is gone which also cuts off the absorption. It will then begin to leach back into the tank.

I agree with FF, AC only last about one week or so. Filter floss is what I use unless removing meds from the tank.

I like AC, but like others have said it doesn't last long. My media has AC in it and filter pad on top. I change out my media every 1-2 weeks, I just consider it a cost of the hobby :D

-Pleco

Tetra claim their AC for the external canister filters lasts around a month. I doubt they'd say as long as that if it werent true, since if it were a week they'd be selling more and making more money.
It depends on the brand, I guess.

I've left my AC running for months and months in two of my tanks without any adverse effect (it's laziness on my part, I can't be bothered changing it out of the canisters). I've read that it's yet another 'aquarium myth' that AC leeches back into the water once it's 'used up'. In fact, it's inert at that point.

Back
Top Bottom