How long does carbon last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long does carbon last in a filter? Is there any way to determine if the carbon is exhausted and should be changed? :(

I know that many people don't use carbon in their tanks, but for now this is what I'm doing so hang in with me ... I just added new carbon to my 55-gal. I put in a third of a cup according to the package directions. It is stocked with 6 red-eye tetras, 4 serpae tetras, two white clouds and a dwarf pleco (not sure what kind it is). The filter is an aqua clear HOB rated 70 for 70 gal. I have bio tubes and two sponges in the filter along with the carbon. A few plants.

I tried to search for the answer so I apologize in advance if this is a repeated question. If a good explanation exists please give me the link.

Thanks.:thanks:
Coolchinchilla

I would say 2 weeks to a month. I am no chemist, but if I were replacing it, I would do it once a month. It is kind of high to replace every 2 weeks, but that might be better.

Is there a specific reason you want carbon in your filter? You should replace it every 4-6 weeks but make sure you seed the new piece before throwing away the old one.

I only run carbon to remove meds so I throw it out after about a week or two. If your wanting to get fine particles and clear water, what works for me is polishing pads. You would t believe the gunk those pads pick up after a couple of days.

There nasty! Carbon is good IMO to remove meds and help with odor but then again if there's an odor problem there's probably more then one problem.

I only run carbon to remove meds so I throw it out after about a week or two. If your wanting to get fine particles and clear water, what works for me is polishing pads. You would t believe the gunk those pads pick up after a couple of days.

WHERE do you get polishing pads? :confused:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15434

Or you can use this stuff and get a whole case of it and cut it to size.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm

Or at a Walmart, Target or crafts store you can get pillow stuffing in bulk(just make sure it's all natural and doesn't have chemicals added) Just stuff it in the filter and you'll see all the gunk it catches. I have to change mine today I'll shoot a picture and post.

You'll see what 3 days has caught.

Oops. I think I may need to change my carbon! Mind you it's only been in for 2 weeks I think

How long does carbon last in a filter? Is there any way to determine if the carbon is exhausted and should be changed? :(

Thanks all! I was hoping that there'd be a formula but I guess it's just not to be.

I guess I use carbon because there's some rule in my head that goes like this: "it's a fish tank and you're supposed to use carbon." Maybe should rethink that. I don't have any odors, no meds, no discoloration. My pleco produces a lot of waste so nitrates build up quickly. I was thinking that carbon would help with that? I guess not too much because I run carbon and the nitrates are still high... :banghead: I love this cool fish but I don't like the mess! Oh well...

Again...Thanks! :D

Here's 4 days with the pads.

image-3928081727.jpg

This is after the sponge and right before the water enters the tank again so.... You think your getting all the fine particles huh? I thought so too.

Convict2161 said:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15434

Or you can use this stuff and get a whole case of it and cut it to size.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm

Or at a Walmart, Target or crafts store you can get pillow stuffing in bulk(just make sure it's all natural and doesn't have chemicals added) Just stuff it in the filter and you'll see all the gunk it catches. I have to change mine today I'll shoot a picture and post.

You'll see what 3 days has caught.

I'm doingthis. Does it need to go in a bag of some sort or can I put it straight into the basket?

Back
Top Bottom