How long does food last before it goes bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some flakes that are 6 months old and they are losing color. Some pellets that are a year old. And, some frozen blood worms that are about 6 months old, maybe more.

I have a small tank(s) and don't use much food. On top of that, I feed lightly to keep water quality up.

At what point do foods "go bad" and need to be replaced?

Good question!! I'm following as I would like this answer as well!! Is there and exp date on any of your foods??

Is there an expiration date on it?

From a quick google it seems that different foods have different expiration dates as that would make sense. I'd go by what the package says to be safe. I know for example the reef nutrition says you can go past the date, that's information from a telephone conversation I had with a company rep.

Frozen food I'd say is good as long as its still in the original package and isn't freezer burned.

I know NLS says you can use a 2 year old bottle of it hasn't been opened.

So... I guess the best thing to do is read the package and of still in doubt call the company and you'll get your answer.

Also to add,fish food like any food, once it is exposed to air begins oxidizing and breaking down. Even when stored in a cool dry place dark place the food begins to loose nutrient value after about time. As for frozen foods, they supposedly can last for a year if not leaft out for long periods of time.

But like I stated before. Read the package and the company will have the answer.

Last edited:
Fish foods do have expiration dates- check them before purchasing. For unopened foods kept in a cool, dry place, I would keep them a year or til their exp date- whichever comes first. I honestly would not use or keep any opened packaged food longer than 6mths but I also have to purchase food monthly so this is never an issue. If you find yourself not using opened foods very quickly, just purchase smaller amounts so they are not wasted. Treat stuff in the freezer the same as you would your own food- if you are not willing to eat a meat product thats been in the freezer for 6mths or longer, toss it. Dont quote me on this, but I believe the shelf life of meat products in the freezer is somewhere in the 3-6mth range but I think this is based on food 'quality' (taste, texture, etc) rather than the food actually going 'bad'. Im sure others have various opinions as well!

I don't see expiration dates on either package of dried food. And, I don't remember exactly when I bought them. But, it has been a while.

Omega One Natural Protein Formual Freshwater Flakes. Red top, red and orange package. .42 oz. 1/2 gone probably not too expensive to replace if necessary.

Extreme Professional Formula 1.5 mm pellet Community Peewee. 5.6 oz. I haven't even used 1/4 of the can and it was $11.

ARe there foods that come in tiny packages for people that don't use much? The LFS recommended the Extreme, but I don't know if it is necessary. I hope there is a good pellet I can get in a smaller size package. The flakes were a small package but still only have used 1/2.

I would think that dried flake foods and pellets would last longer than frozen stuff if after opening you made sure there was an airtight seal after every use.
After all one of the reasons flake and pellet foods are processed is because of the longer shelf life before and after opening.

So maybe I will restock next time out and write the date on the package itself. Then I know restock again after 6 months.

My fish food is 2+ years old. Should i get new food?

It depends a lot on packaging and storage. Most fish food can go a year or more without issue if kept cool, sealed, and out of the light.

One way to check is by smelling it.

I'm planning to build another comprehensive food line in the upcoming months because I think lfs prices are ridiculous.

Smelling it is definitely a great way to tell if it's bad. We buy the small jars of flake food and check it regularly. We used to buy the big jars, but it would always go bad and smell awful. Sometimes it'll start to clump and stick together as well if it gets too much moisture from the air.

Back
Top Bottom