Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Arrow How long does it take for Platy or Molly to give birth?

Just a curious question, how long does it take for live bearing fish to go full term with its pregnancy, and what are some signs to look for if a live bearing fish such as a platy or molly are pregnant?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I unknowingly got a pregnant Black Molly from the lfs, and a month after her first batch, she had her second. I'm sure each specie is different though.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they can give birth to fry about every 28 days. you will notice a gravity spot (dark brown or black area) in their belly region. about a week before birth they will "square off" - will look like their is a box in her belly. and she will get huge and look like she is going to explode. (all of this is less noticeable the first few batches of fry, but the more batches she has the more noticeable it will be, and each time she will have more fry) then 1-12hrs before she starts popping out fry she will poop white. then it can take them up to 24 hours to give birth to all their fry.

once they are finished they will poop normally again, and will start eating their own fry if not separated.

also im pretty sure that mollies and platies are just like guppies, they can store sperm and have up to 5 batches of fry even if they were only impregnated once.

hope this helps answer your question. if you want to know anything else just ask
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Everything rreekers said is correct. You can also add that when she is ready to give birth she will most likely start either hiding and chasing all the other fish away, especially the male attention, or she will go to the top of the tank and kind of look like she is panting a little. If you are planning to keep some of the fry you will want a lot of hiding places for them like moss and bushy plants where they can get away from being eaten. Or you could get a breeder trap where you could place the fry once they are born and raise them until they are too big for the parents mouths. Mollies are notorious for eating their fry if they can find them.

Additionally, if this is her first batch of fry it can sometimes take even more than 24 hours. It could take her up to 3 days to finish.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes2ashes View Post
Everything rreekers said is correct. You can also add that when she is ready to give birth she will most likely start either hiding and chasing all the other fish away, especially the male attention, or she will go to the top of the tank and kind of look like she is panting a little. If you are planning to keep some of the fry you will want a lot of hiding places for them like moss and bushy plants where they can get away from being eaten. Or you could get a breeder trap where you could place the fry once they are born and raise them until they are too big for the parents mouths. Mollies are notorious for eating their fry if they can find them.

Additionally, if this is her first batch of fry it can sometimes take even more than 24 hours. It could take her up to 3 days to finish.

I didnt know their 1st batches could tank so long.. wow..

ashes stated that alot of times they will go to the top and "pant", my guppies go to the top and my mollies go to the bottom. so that is a good sign. also they generally stop eating, like of you were to feed your fish and she was planning on giving birth in a few hours she would probably not eat
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #6

Awesome Thank you rreekers and ashes this information helped a lot, i do not think any of my fish are pregnant at the moment but my M and F Creamcicle Mollys keep chasing eachother around the tank, especially the male chases the female a lot, how do i know if they are mateing or just aggressive towards each other?? they are both in excellent health!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

Molly Pic

If i did this right the picture is of my M/F Creamcicle Mollys, both about 2"-3" long
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I1328012044.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	74144  
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do black mollies mate with silver mollies anyone?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaTree
Awesome Thank you rreekers and ashes this information helped a lot, i do not think any of my fish are pregnant at the moment but my M and F Creamcicle Mollys keep chasing eachother around the tank, especially the male chases the female a lot, how do i know if they are mateing or just aggressive towards each other?? they are both in excellent health!
you should have a ratio of 1 male to AT LEAST 2 female (3 or 4 is better) or just have all females.

it is probably both, aggression and mating
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanova
Do black mollies mate with silver mollies anyone?
yes, they all breed together.. they are the same species but different colors

Tags
birth, long, molly, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com