Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long for chlorine to evaporate

Hi,

How long would it take for chlorine to evaporate from 75 gallons of tap water?

Thanks,

Lorus...

Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just use a water conditioner like Prime ?

Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It takes 24 hours. If you are wanting it to do water changes, just use a dechlorinator.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a dechlorinator such as Prime as mentioned above. Using tap water you run the risk of having chloramine in the water as well as chlorine. While chlorine will evaporate out of the tank in 12-24hours, chloramine does not evaporate and will stay in the water until it can react with something (your fish). Prime is cheap, lasts almost forever, and a good guarantee that your water is good for the fish.

If this is the first tank setup, I like your idea. When I first bought my tank I cleaned it with tap water and a paper towel to get any debris off, and then filled it with tap water. I hooked up all my equipment (filter, heater, decorations and substrate) and let it cycle for a day or two. This way I was sure that if any unwanted bacteria/fungus/algae was present in the tank, it was now dead. Obviously don't hook up the filter if your using seeded material until after you've treated the water!

HTH,

justin
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

as 7enigma says, chlorine isn't a huge deal...but few water companies use it...they use chloramine, because it lasts longer and doesn't just outgas like chlorine.

Prime is the best dechlorinator IMO.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
just to add to the prime discussion. when a dechlorinator converts the chlorine into chloride, it will leave NH3 behind if your water has chloramine in it. thats whats nice about prime (and many others) it also converts NH3 to a non-toxic form.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

rkilling is right, it converts it to ammonium, rather than raw ammonia. ammonium has a neutral charge, so it doesn't want to bind to anything, and that's how ammonia does its damage to fish gills.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

In an open container, it takes 24 to 48 hours? If you aerate the water with an airstone, this is sped up greatly. This is what I do. I have a 30 gal plastic garbage can as a holding tank. I dropped an old heater in it, and run two airstones. I just fill it up, a day later it is heated and dechlorinated. No chloramines in my water.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Chlorine does not completely evaporate unless you aerate it for a couple days according to Paul's Aquarium FAQ's.

http://www.paulsaquarium.com/faqs.htm#clorine%20remover
Quote:
Can I sit water out overnight instead of using a water conditioner or chlorine remover?

No! Not at least in our area. Our city water is loaded with chlorine and the water would have to be aerated for a couple of days before using. Even then you should do a chlorine test first or better yet add chlorine remover, or use a tank water purifier by aquarium pharmaceuticals for pure de-ionized water.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How long does it take for the water conditioner to kick in if I would add it to the tap water, minutes, hours, days? Do I still have to let the water stand overnight or with the conditioner it can be added to the aquarium sooner?

Lorus...

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com