How long I can have my fish tank without power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Despirotomatico

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dont have power in my house how long can live my fishes or what I can do to help ?

Get a batterie powered air pump, place hot water in a bag and let it float into the water, cover the tank with a blanket to insulate and prevent stress.

If you have a battery powered air pump use it. If you cant get one then cut a water bottle. Poke several holes in the bottom and fill it with tank water and pour back into the tank. This will keep it aerated. What is your tank temperature usually at and what is it at now?

As long as the powers off, don't feed the fish while the power is out which reduces waste

I would float the filter media in the tank and have an air pump on. The BB needs oxygen. This is a quote from a webpage I've read
" When power is restored, be aware that the biological waste present in the tank and mechanical filtration pads may have started to be broken down anaerobically producing methane and hydrogen sulfide. These gasses can be very toxic to fish, so try to remove and clean the filter pads before the power comes back on."
This is the page
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2154&aid=2402

" When power is restored, be aware that the biological waste present in the tank and mechanical filtration pads may have started to be broken down anaerobically producing methane and hydrogen sulfide. These gasses can be very toxic to fish, so try to remove and clean the filter pads before the power comes back on."
This is the page
Aquarium Maintenance: Planning for and Dealing with Power Outages

this can be true BUT twice in my life i have forgot to plug in a filter after a water change and low and behold the water in the filter had neither methane or hydrogen sulfide and NO nitrates if it's off long enough it actually can be benificial, BUT i would not take this to the bank just my experience. I do use 2 XP3's on a 75 gal tank.

by the way it was off 7 days

Back
Top Bottom