How long to QT and what to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freakinfishgeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a beautiful "healthy looking" black moore. He is currently in a 5 gallon QT and doing well he has been there for about 48 hours. The first thing I did notice was milky clear poo. So I fed him some blanched pease and fasted him 24 hours. I haven't seen him poo yet but I haven't seen any of that clearish white stuff either. I am fairly new to the hobby. I have been working with my fan tail gold fish for a year just trying to get her healthy. I made all my mistakes on her and its a miracle she is alive. But she is and she is happy and healthy and huge. So I need to be 110% certain the new tank mate will not bring her any thing but some companionship. So what do I look for, test for? He did come from a big chain pet store so is there anything I should treat for automatically? I obviously don't want to harm this new guy either. How long should I keep him in QT? Thanks!

i qt for 4 weeks some do as little as 2 weeks and thats after the last sign of problems. i wont treat for anything until i see it. was the 5 gallon qt cycled?

ok good to know. just keep a eye every few days to make sure of the levels feed him good food and look for any signs. garlic foods are also good to feed.

What would a garlic food be? With my other goldie I feed blood worms, baby shrimp melon cucumber ect. But I have that black moore do better with sinking food so they don't get swim bladder. Plus this guys doesn't notice when I drop in food he doesn't seem to know its there unless its drops and hits him on the head. I know they don't have the best vision. As I mentioned I am fairly new so what is considered the best gold fish food? I guessing not flakes.

i feed a flake food from kensfish with garlic in it. i am not a goldfish guy so i am not 100% sure whats the best for them.

Goldfish will do best with a varied diet. Sinking pellets are the best as they can get gut problem otherwise. You can also feed veggies & assorted live food. Serious goldfish fanciers make their own gel food. Here is a recipe if you are ambitious:
Gel Food Recipes | Goldfish

Some people think garlic will boost immunity in fish. There isn't any garlic containing goldfish food I know of; but being herbivore, the fish will eat the garlic as is. I know people do feed SMALL amount of chopped up garlic with their veggies.

Moors tend to have poor eyesight, but they do fairly well finding food by smell. Normally, I just let the food sink to the bottom, and the fish will eventually find it. <Goldies normally root around in the substrate looking for food all day - so called "booking" behaviour.>

And about the original Q on QT ...

The minimum is 2 weeks, 4 week would be better. Look for any sign of disease.

A lot of goldfish from commercial fish farms carry parasites. Some advocate treating prophyllactically with praziquintal during QT. <I use Jungle antiparasite food, which contains Prazi. There are other sources.>

This is one QT regime for goldies:
Quarantine Recommendations for New Goldfish | Goldfish

Back
Top Bottom