How long to seed a new filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good food for thought, that's exactly what I'm wrestling with. Small particles that just won't clear up.

Some people say you cant have too much filtration. That theory aside, how would you determine the minimum filtration to have? I have a 46 gal tank and an Emporer 280. 46 gallons at 280gph is just over 6x/hour turnover, right? Is that sufficient? More is better, I concur, but what is the recommended turnover. The 280 claims it's good for up to 50 gallons, so I'm on the upper end using that scale.

Sorry sudz, not trying to hijack your thread...

Well I personally like 10X filtration per hour, but that's just me, and I have a planted tank with a full complement of fish. I don't want any more than trace ammonia levels at any given time. Also when I was purchasing the filter the difference between the AC20 (rated for up to 20 gallons) and the AC50 (rated for up to 50 gallons) was about $2. So I sprung for the larger filter. After using it for about a year, I do not think this could adequately handle a 50 gallon tank. I think its overboard for my tank, but I adjust the flow to the minimum setting and slowly adjust the flow up as it begins to clog with debris.

And again, remember that the turnover rate is for ammonia and nitrIte reduction, NOT its ability to filter per se. As you can see with our filters, even though I might have a huge filter, it isn't filtering as fine as I would like it too.

I've been thinking about switching out my top sponge for some filter floss. I keep hearing how great this stuff is at filtering out small particles and might have to try it. Can anyone who has switched to using some filter floss comment on its benefit? (2nd thought I'll post a new thread).

I've always gone over.
I have an AC20 on a 15 gallon (was on a 10)
and now i have a Fluval 304 on a 44 gallon (rated for up to 70 gallons)

I mean, by all means, i COULD have gotten away with the 204, or the AC50, but I feel safer, espically if you have a moderate to over stocked tank.

You can always dial the flow down, AND have more biomedia. :)

I used to have an AC70 full tilt, and a 204 powerhead to get decent current in my tank. Rainbows like current. At the bottom of the tank, its fairly calm, so my cardinals and black phantom tetra's can chill. :p

Basically... Cater to your fish. Don't worry about "numbers" They're all averaged. Some fish like more current, (rainbows) some like less (discus) It really depends on the fish's preference! (IMO)

Good advice, I was just trying to understand the guidelines.

The Emporer I have has 2 slots for biomedia, I'm really wishing I had a 3d slot as well, so I'm factoring that in.

This filter floss everyone keeps saying. What exactly is that? Is it just the micro filtering stuff?

Back
Top Bottom