How long will bacteria live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have shrimp coming in 2 days that is going into my betta tank. I moved him over to his new tank because I'm doing a big peroxide dose to kill all the algae. I am then doing a 50% RO water change to get my water a lot softer. I don't want to stress my betta moving him over to this water again, and then moving him back. Will my bacteria be fine for the 2 days?

Bacteria will be fine for two days as long as it is handled properly. i.e. Remaining in stable tank water.

That being said, Hydrogen Peroxide in sufficient quantities may be harmful to the bacteria. Not sure at what concentration it is harmful to bacteria but probably worth looking into.

Bacteria will be fine for two days as long as it is handled properly. i.e. Remaining in stable tank water.

That being said, Hydrogen Peroxide in sufficient quantities may be harmful to the bacteria. Not sure at what concentration it is harmful to bacteria but probably worth looking into.

What do you mean stable tank water? And I turned off my filter and was running a powerhead during the peroxide treatment.

What do you mean stable tank water?

I meant that you shouldn't, for example, use chlorinated tap water. Nor should you let the media dry out.

With a canister filter this is easy, just leave it full of water. With other types of filters you may need to leave the pad soaking in some water. Hard to give a specific answer without knowing what kind of filter it is.

I meant that you shouldn't, for example, use chlorinated tap water. Nor should you let the media dry out.

With a canister filter this is easy, just leave it full of water. With other types of filters you may need to leave the pad soaking in some water. Hard to give a specific answer without knowing what kind of filter it is.

Is it ok that I run the filter for the next 2 days, fishless?

Be sure that your peroxide dose will not kill your BB.

I already addressed this.

Why not just move the filter to the other tank that you put the beta in and run it there until the shrimp get there.

Beneficial bacteria will live for up to a month without a food source. Theres nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom