Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long will tannins be present

Have 2 pieces of driftwood in a 29 gallon. I didn't know to boil prior to sticking them in the tank. When I WC, water is "weak tea color" although the water seems clear in the tank.

How long will these tannins continue to come out of the DW? Also, are tannins harmful to plants?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

it depends on the type of wood that you have. and tannins are completely harmless to fish and plants

Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pull them out and boil them, changing water in the pot every time you get tea stained water, then keep boiling until you only get weak tea stained water off of a boil, you should be good then. I boiled mine for about 12 hours after soaking it in a bucket for 2 weeks

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long will tannins be present

The tannins are actually good for the fish. It's a natural way of getting the lower pH that they would have in their native habitat, and it even has antibacterial properties. Although some think it is unsightly to look at in a tank.
If you don't even notice it in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it. Your fish might thank you!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info. I have attached anubias to the driftwood so taking it out and boiling it would be a bit more deconstruction than I care to do.

I am glad to know that there are actually some beneficial properties.

Tags
long, tan, tannins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com