how many??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if there is a thread for this or not but for the less experienced people how many of you separate your new fish from the water the store gives you becoming adding to your tank?

I acclimate mine in the floating bag for an hour, then I empty the contents into a separate bowl before I add the fish. This way the tank water from the store isn't going into my tank. Not sure if this is an over exaggerated step by its what my dad taught me to do way back when I had my first tank.

Floating doesnt acclimate them sufficiently IMO. At minimum, you should add tank water every 10-15 minutes until you have put 4x as much water as the bag had.... and I never put water in my tank thats not mine

mfdrookie516 said:
Floating doesnt acclimate them sufficiently IMO. At minimum, you should add tank water every 10-15 minutes until you have put 4x as much water as the bag had.... and I never put water in my tank thats not mine

Yea I left that out on accident, I do add my tank water a half cup at a time for an hour..

GoneFishing said:
Not sure if there is a thread for this or not but for the less experienced people how many of you separate your new fish from the water the store gives you becoming adding to your tank?

I acclimate mine in the floating bag for an hour, then I empty the contents into a separate bowl before I add the fish. This way the tank water from the store isn't going into my tank. Not sure if this is an over exaggerated step by its what my dad taught me to do way back when I had my first tank.

That's what you're supposed to do. Even my horrible PETSMART recommended it lol. So I don't add the water.

mfdrookie516 said:
Then you should be good then. I float for 30 minutes or so, then drip them for an hour. I take the 'better safe than sorry' route.

+1

Drip acclimation is safer, easier and less time consuming IMO. I drip acclimate all my live animals (fish, shrimp, snails) in 1.5g of tank water for an hour, then float them for temp adjust and since all the LSF water is gone, I just pour it in.

We also "strain" all water after acclimation through a net to avoid adding their water to our tanks. Unless we know the breeder very well and even those are QTd.

I am not that gung ho about a little water getting in. They are all acclimated and put in QT for a month no matter who they come from.

Agreed, QT anything going into your tank is important and shouldn't be avoided unless you know/trust where the stock is coming from. Luckily, I've got a LFS (2 actually) that QT all incoming stock for 10+ days and saves me the trouble :D.

Mr. Limpet said:
Agreed, QT anything going into your tank is important and shouldn't be avoided unless you know/trust where the stock is coming from. Luckily, I've got a LFS (2 actually) that QT all incoming stock for 10+ days and saves me the trouble :D.

What about plant? Do they require a QT? If so do you do it for a certain length of time?

Some people do, I generally do not. I do give them a rinse though. I do not care if I get snails however, some people are quite worried about that.

GoneFishing said:
What about plant? Do they require a QT? If so do you do it for a certain length of time?

I used to because I got ick (I think) from a new plant, until I found using H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) @ 100% for a dip solution seems to wash them clean of everything, including snails. About 30 plants later and no problems to report.

Mr. Limpet said:
I used because I got ick (I think) from a new plant, until I found using H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) @ 100% for a dip solution seems to wash them clean of everything, including snails. About 30 plants later and no problems to report.

+1 for Mr. Limpet. He told me about the h2o2 method and it's definitely effective. I had bought some plants from a lfs which had a bunch of pond snails on them...and after the peroxide dip he recommended, I had a bowl of dead snails and not a single one (or parasite, disease, etc...) in my tank.

What do you do for the dip? Is it a simple in and out? In and wait a min? I'm shocked it doesn't kill the plants.

GoneFishing said:
What do you do for the dip? Is it a simple in and out? In and wait a min? I'm shocked it doesn't kill the plants.

I just dipped and swished for 30-60 seconds, and rinsed them real good at the kitchen sink. The plants didn't seem to care. They were probably happy to not have the snails crawling all over them, lol.

Ahh very cool, I will give this a try when I get plants. Are there ant plants to use caution with? Ie moss balls, sensitive plants?

Sweet thanks for the link! Hopefully this thread will be read by a lot of people, help them out with new stock. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom