Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

how many??

Not sure if there is a thread for this or not but for the less experienced people how many of you separate your new fish from the water the store gives you becoming adding to your tank?

I acclimate mine in the floating bag for an hour, then I empty the contents into a separate bowl before I add the fish. This way the tank water from the store isn't going into my tank. Not sure if this is an over exaggerated step by its what my dad taught me to do way back when I had my first tank.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Floating doesnt acclimate them sufficiently IMO. At minimum, you should add tank water every 10-15 minutes until you have put 4x as much water as the bag had.... and I never put water in my tank thats not mine

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Floating doesnt acclimate them sufficiently IMO. At minimum, you should add tank water every 10-15 minutes until you have put 4x as much water as the bag had.... and I never put water in my tank thats not mine
Yea I left that out on accident, I do add my tank water a half cup at a time for an hour..
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Then you should be good then. I float for 30 minutes or so, then drip them for an hour. I take the 'better safe than sorry' route.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
Not sure if there is a thread for this or not but for the less experienced people how many of you separate your new fish from the water the store gives you becoming adding to your tank?

I acclimate mine in the floating bag for an hour, then I empty the contents into a separate bowl before I add the fish. This way the tank water from the store isn't going into my tank. Not sure if this is an over exaggerated step by its what my dad taught me to do way back when I had my first tank.
That's what you're supposed to do. Even my horrible PETSMART recommended it lol. So I don't add the water.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Then you should be good then. I float for 30 minutes or so, then drip them for an hour. I take the 'better safe than sorry' route.
+1

Drip acclimation is safer, easier and less time consuming IMO. I drip acclimate all my live animals (fish, shrimp, snails) in 1.5g of tank water for an hour, then float them for temp adjust and since all the LSF water is gone, I just pour it in.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

We also "strain" all water after acclimation through a net to avoid adding their water to our tanks. Unless we know the breeder very well and even those are QTd.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I am not that gung ho about a little water getting in. They are all acclimated and put in QT for a month no matter who they come from.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed, QT anything going into your tank is important and shouldn't be avoided unless you know/trust where the stock is coming from. Luckily, I've got a LFS (2 actually) that QT all incoming stock for 10+ days and saves me the trouble .
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet
Agreed, QT anything going into your tank is important and shouldn't be avoided unless you know/trust where the stock is coming from. Luckily, I've got a LFS (2 actually) that QT all incoming stock for 10+ days and saves me the trouble .
What about plant? Do they require a QT? If so do you do it for a certain length of time?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com