How many angelfish should be in one tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two young angelfish in a 10 gallon tank. They're being moved to a 48 gallon as soon as it's cycled. Do I need more than 2 to keep the peace when they get older or will it be ok just to have the two of them? I keep reading different things so I was wondering if you guys have an opinion about what I should do. I'm hoping to just keep the two of them since I want to put some other interesting fish in the tank. I know they get big so I don't want to take up all the space on angels. Thanks guys. :)

no more inch per gallon myths.....

they are fine to keep 2 together. a lot of people get a mix 5-6 and wait for 2 to pair off. though that might not be a good thing anyways.

2 will be fine in your 48 gallon.

Thanks everyone, but what I really want to know is if only 2 angelfish will get along together once they get older even if they aren't a mating pair. I would rather just keep the 2 that I have but if I have to get another one to keep the peace then I will. :)

they are cichlids and will fight from time to time but there is plenty of room and if you make hiding spots they will be fine.

Great! I'll just stick with the two of them for now then. My tank is an odd shape...more tall then long. 31 high and 20Lx18W...so not as much swimming room as the typical tank. Hopefully that's enough room to stay out of each others way.

Let me know how you make out with 2 10' Oscars in a 20 gallon tank.

Bill, I don't think it's physically possible to get two 10 foot oscars in a 20g tank let alone a single one! LOL, just kidding, I knew what you meant.

I had 15 quarter sized angels in a 10g until they were just shy of half dollar size and then I moved them all to my 29g where they grew to be dollar sized. I had 3-4 pairs, sold 7 of them and moved the other 8 to my 100g community tank with my discus. Everything worked out for me. Surely you could do 2 angels in a 10g for a little while but don't look for it to be a permanent home since angels get tall. Jack Wattley wrote about a friend of his that bred discus in 10g tanks with much success.

Bill, I don't think it's physically possible to get two 10 foot oscars in a 20g tank let alone a single one! LOL, just kidding, I knew what you meant.

I had 15 quarter sized angels in a 10g until they were just shy of half dollar size and then I moved them all to my 29g where they grew to be dollar sized. I had 3-4 pairs, sold 7 of them and moved the other 8 to my 100g community tank with my discus. Everything worked out for me. Surely you could do 2 angels in a 10g for a little while but don't look for it to be a permanent home since angels get tall. Jack Wattley wrote about a friend of his that bred discus in 10g tanks with much success.
not if you know how to fold them right..... besides you know oscars grow larger then 10 inch.... you need a 30 gallon tank for them.

i had only 2 angels in a 10 gal tank for a year and half and they where perfectly fine. i then moved them to a 35 gall for another year and half and then they really grew but never went after each other unless they where playing. id say it is perfectly fine to just have to and add more fish
:bandit:

have fun finding other fish!!

Back
Top Bottom