Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to coldsteel Send a message via MSN to coldsteel
how many barbs in a 10 gallon tank?

I read that if you put too many barbs in a cramped space they will eat each other. I was wondering if I could put 3 cory cats, 1 algae eating shrimp, and 8-9 barbs of various types together, if they would be okay. Also, do you have to have 3 of each type or can you get only 2 of each type?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2004, 04:04 PM   #2

oops, i forgot to include that it is a standard 10 gallon tank, i am going to put a couple synthetic plants and a decoration or two in there.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was wondering if I could put 3 cory cats, 1 algae eating shrimp, and 8-9 barbs of various types together, if they would be okay. Also, do you have to have 3 of each type or can you get only 2 of each type?
That would be too many fish for a 10. What type of Barbs are you interested in?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #4

well, I was thinking some albino tiger barbs, some rosy barbs, and some green barbs, maybe two of each; would that still be too much???
Old 04-23-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tiger barbs (green, albino or regular) get to be a good 3" long each...10gallons would be too small to have a decent school.

I think there are barbs that stay around 2" each and with those you could probably keep 6 in a 10 gallon tank (along with the cories) with careful water monitoring and maintenance.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #6

wow, i've never seen a tiger barb nearly that big. i've only seen them grow to about an inch and a half. maybe i'll consider putting some smaller fish in the 10 gal and just getting more barbs for my 56 gal. anything you would recommend for such a small tank? it's just going to be sitting in my room giving me something to entertain myself with, it is hard for me to sit in the computer room/playroom where my 56 gal is and just look at it. Thanks

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=70
coldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Make that just under 3". I have seen them that big at one fish store locally.

there are always the various small and colorful tetras (neon, cardinal).
Old 04-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #8

yeah, i was hoping for something more interesting, but I may have to settle for something like that; thanks for everyone's help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=70
coldsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a few dwarf puffer in my 10 gallon tank. They are very small (less than 1 inch) and are interesting to watch. They probably watch me more than I watch them . They are very curious fish. The down side is they are very picky eater prefering live food. They will eat fozen or freeze-dried bloodworms and snails though.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

coldsteel...

If you have your heart set on barbs in your 10-gallon I can suggest Cherry Barbs, Puntius titteya as a fine choice. They max out at about 2 inches, are VERY colorful (especially the males in breeding color), and aren't quite as quarrelsome as some of their larger relatives. You could easily get away with a small community (they don't really school like Tiger Barbs) of about 4-6 of these in a 10 gallon with good water quality maintenance. (Yeah...yeah...I know....that's 12 inches of fish....but I don't generally agree with the 1 inch per gallon 'rule' anyway.)

Here's a good general link for information:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gcherry.html

Tags
10 gallon, barb, barbs, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com