How many Danio varieties can I fiind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomiclord

Aquarium Advice Activist
**Danio Help!

Ok, so I've been adding gradually to my newest tank, a 5ish gal (real nice, but pricy, setup) and I've become quite taken with Danios. I now have:

3 Longfin Zebra Danios
3 Longfin Leopard Danios
3 Longfin Metallic Silver/Pink/Ghost Danios

They're all really interesting and school together nicely. Tons of activity! They'll soon all go into the 60gal, but I don't believe in cycling with fish...

So what other varieties have people seen? What type of Danio (pref longfin) should I get next?

Pics coming soon when they'll stay still long enough to take a photo!

Edit: Just changed this thread because problems have come up.

there are lots of different danios. though what you are looking for is how many differnt Danio rerio you can find. on a side note zebras are very active fish and i personally think they need at least a 20 gallon tank. even better a 20 long.

Sigh. gamer's right. I'm beginning to hate my LFS. All of them.

Danios should be given at least 20 inches of length to swim in. Mine currently have 12. My larger tank that I've just aquired has 3ft of length (it's huge), but I have no filter/sump/light/heater/tank stand etc etc for it yet, all of which is really expensive when you buy what you're told is best for your fish.

All of my danios are schooling nicely, none are hiding, none are biting. Yet. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until I get social problems and one goes off and hides, and they start dropping off one by one.

Any advice?

Danios should be given at least 20 inches of length to swim in. Mine currently have 12. My larger tank that I've just aquired has 3ft of length (it's huge), but I have no filter/sump/light/heater/tank stand etc etc for it yet, all of which is really expensive when you buy what you're told is best for your fish.

All of my danios are schooling nicely, none are hiding, none are biting. Yet. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until I get social problems and one goes off and hides, and they start dropping off one by one.

Any advice?

My advice is to stop stressing. Danios don't know they need 20 inches of swimming space. In fact, if we want to get real anal about it they shouldn't even be in captivity right? They have not read the books. And these claims of 20 inches are arbitrary numbers decided by someone that become gospel because someone else reads it and believes it. No one asked a danio how much room they needed.

The point is, yes, they need as much swimming room as one can give them. And they would be the better off for it in the long term if they had more swimming room. But right now yours don't. SO what you need to concentrate on is providing good water quality and a decent diet for yours until the new tank is set up.

People have been breeding zebra danios for decades and raising whole broods in 10-15-20 gallon tanks. I have raised hundreds in 15 gallon tanks before I started using ponds. So your few that you have are not going to complain over the 5 gallon tank you house them temporarily in.

One problem you might encounter is the fact that most commercially available fish these days are crap. They are bred in asia with no regard for genetic quality and health. It is a numbers game and the name of the game is money, and how much you can make.

Danios are one of those fish that decades ago were impossible to kill. Nowadays you visit stores and if you look carefully into danio tanks you see hollow bellied, skinny, bent spined fish swimming around with what appear to be healthy fish. But because of deteriorating quality of broodstock very often the fish we buy that appear healthy end up becoming skinny sick fish as well, and then aquarists are led to believe that it is because of something they did wrong. And then they buy meds and expensive bottles of this and that to fix something that cannot be fixed.

And then there are danios like your, "Longfin Metallic Silver/Pink/Ghost Danios". What the **** are those? They're not in any book. They are, I'm guessing, a longfinned glo-fish type fish. Most of these are crap as far as quality is concerned and will peter out on you sooner or later.

My point with this rant has been, stop stressing, provide good water quality, feed a quality diet sparingly and your fish will have a good chance of making it to your large aquarium when you get it set up. My point continues that if you do start seeing fish falling apart as it were, it is very unlikely that it is because of anything you are doing, it is because the fish were crap.

Crap like most fish imported in these days.

Bill

Any advice?

Just keep up with the water quality and they should be fine. Move them to the larger tank when you have time.
As far as equipment for the other tank check craigslist, garage sales, classifieds. All you really need to start is a stand, heater, and filter. You can add lights, decoration, substrate later.

i have some golden danios which are really pretty and school with my leopard danios - you might want to try and pick up some of those.

Ok, there was a problem with the fan in the hood on my tank, so I've replaced the tank. Kind of an upgrade... to a 160L job... Kind of shocked my bro when I told him I bought it for my danios. It's looking really bare just now because I had to clean out the little tank to return it. Basically stole the whole filter media out of the back of it to fuel the big tank. Still anticipating at least a mini-cycle though.

Here's a photo:
img_984802_0_24765e090601a83f66631eb99aa71aa7.jpg

Here it is with 2 18000K 24W T5HO tubes, couple more plants, and the water's cleared up quite a bit.

img_985450_0_c07cf7db167e32859cddab0db92bc99c.jpg

My advice is to stop stressing. Danios don't know they need 20 inches of swimming space. In fact, if we want to get real anal about it they shouldn't even be in captivity right? They have not read the books. And these claims of 20 inches are arbitrary numbers decided by someone that become gospel because someone else reads it and believes it. No one asked a danio how much room they needed.
books? this is personal experience. no where did i say they must be or they are being cruel for keeping them in a smaller tank. the bigger the tank the more active they are. they are hyper active little fish.

It is a numbers game and the name of the game is money, and how much you can make.
i think you kind of made my point for me. just because you can doesnt mean you should. people also breed angel fish in 15 gallon tall tanks. would i keep a pair in a 15 no. there is a big difference between should and must.

it was just something to think about as time went on.

looks great atomiclord

books? this is personal experience. no where did i say they must be or they are being cruel for keeping them in a smaller tank. the bigger the tank the more active they are. they are hyper active little fish.

i think you kind of made my point for me. just because you can doesnt mean you should. people also breed angel fish in 15 gallon tall tanks. would i keep a pair in a 15 no. there is a big difference between should and must.

it was just something to think about as time went on.

looks great atomiclord

I'm sorry, I wasn't attacking yuo personally or anything. I just didn't want him to nescessarily take the fish back to the store or anything. I think realistically each of us has our own comfort level on tank size for fish. If we were all honest with ourselves I think we could agree, as I alluded to, that keeping fish in tanks is wrong and possibly cruel. But they are here, so I think each of us has the responsibility to maintain them in the best water conditions possible.

I know people that have big tanks that lose fish constantly from various reasons, and they don't seem to care, they just buy more. And I know people with 5 and 10 gallon tanks that do wonderfully and take a personal interest in the welfare of their fish. I don't pass moral judgement on anyone nescessarily, but I would rather guide someone into making sure whatever home they provide is conducive to good health through a stable water environment and good diet.

But don't get me started on big fish like pacus and irridescent sharks. Lol.

Bill

yea i figured so. though i read it at what i was saying was "gospel" and wanted to make my self clear in case i didnt.

lol whats wrong with pacus and id sharks? they do wonderful on the bbq lol

Back
Top Bottom