How many dwarf gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon planted tank with

10 neons
8 Priscella tetras
5 serpea tetras
5 scissortail rasboras
6 cory cats

I am looking for something for the top of my tank and I am leaning towards gouramis. How many dwarf gouramis could I put in my tank with minimal aggression? I only have access to males unless I order online.

I am also looking at the typical guppies, mollies, swordtails etc but was looking for something a little "splashier"

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you do get dwarf gouramis, get all females or pairs(think about the babies tho). Apparently makes are a tad aggressive with one another, I got two in my 26 gal and they seem fine despite the fact. Dwarf gouramis are a great centrepiece to a tank so I would suggest them:) plus, the pairs will swim together (cute:D)

I'm not sure about getting the live bearers you mentioned b/c serpaes are quote the nippy species. I had them in with guppies and other tetras and by day five fins were shredded and many were murdered...

Gourami's are much like Betta's in the sense they each have individual temperaments.
So you just don't know how multiple males will interact with each other. It works for some and not for others. You'll get advice on both sides of the fence. I've had tanks since the 70's and can tell you from experience that the only time multiple male DG's in a tank have worked is then they have been in large, heavily planted tanks where there are enough plants to break the tanks line of sight up and to give area's for individual territories if wanted. Personally the only tank I have now that I have kept multiple types of DG males is my 100% planted 220g tank. But even then there was mild aggression when males would meet up. I would only do 1 male DG or order on-line and get 1 male and a couple females.

Back
Top Bottom