How many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Centaurnut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal long tank and would like to add a couple more fish but I don't know if I have room. My present herd consists of:
5 Platies
4 Guppies
4 Glofish
4 Neon Tetras
3 Black Skirt Tetras
3 Dwarf Gourami
3 otocinclus
1 Hillstream Loach
3 RCS 3 Glass Shrimp
I want to add 1 more Hillstream loach, and maybe a couple of kuhli loaches or Rams. Would I be overcrowded? I have a Cascade 700 filter & do weekly water changes.
Also, my Guppies harass the devil out of my mixed Platies! They'll pick one out & chase him all over the tank, then the next time I look they'll be after a different one. The poor Platies stay hid under the driftwood or behind rocks! Is this normal?

Guppies can be really honery and in this instance I would remove them. Then your neons, black skirts, and glofish schools need to be increased so there are at least 6 of each. Honestly 3 gourami's in a tank isn't the greatest idea and you need to keep a very close eye out for aggression. They can get along just fine and suddenly all heck breaks loose. Just want you to be aware. Hillsteam loaches prefer cooler water and really aren't suitable for a community tropical tank. They also like alot of current which you can't provide. If you do the above and rehome the guppies and HS loach you could do a small group of Kuhli loaches and maybe a ram but you'd be fully stocked.

3 dwarf gouramis??? Uh oh. Honestly that doesnt sound very good unless you have some female (they have no color and are just gray. Most LFS don't sell them).

3 dwarf gouramis??? Uh oh. Honestly that doesnt sound very good unless you have some female (they have no color and are just gray. Most LFS don't sell them).
I have 1 flame, 1 blue & one plain, added at 2 different times for nearly 3 months with no problems. They eat off the same algae tab with little argument, and hang out together like guppies. The 2 orange were tankmates from Petsmart & I added the blue later from Petco & was worried about them fighting but so far I've had no problem. (Knock on wood!)

Back
Top Bottom