How many fish at a time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
howmmany fish could i add to my tank at a time? i ask because if i wanted a schooling fish, like harlequins, id need to have 6, and im not sure if i can add all six at once. also, about how long until i add more fish after i just got some?

mr.waffles1842 said:
no, i mean if my tank has been cycled for a year.

Still slowly. The beneficial bacteria has adjusted to your bio-load, so stocking too many at once is a recipe for a mini-cycle.

IMO with your tank cycled that long I would add them all at once, but I'd wait a few weeks before I put other fish in.

jetajockey said:
If the tank is well established you'll be fine adding a group at a time, the extremely slow stocking thing is only for cycling/newly cycled tanks.

I respectfully disagree. I've added a Ram and 3 Tetras to an established tank, and had a mini-cycle. Granted, it was nothing extreme, 3 days, 3 pwc's...but it still happened. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big issue unless it's a heavy addition and I'm sure tank size contributes... but it can occur in my experience.

Last edited:
Most people buy an entire school of fish at a time, I know I do. Adding them all at once is what is done. The bioload difference from 2 or 3 small fish to 6 small fish is not significant enough to warrant a staggered stocking. Not only have I done this a few times, I do it all the time. I do it literally on a weekly basis.

It's unfortunate that a minicycle happened to you when you stocked a few small fish in your tank, but it just isn't the norm.

It might cause more of an issue in a fairly new cycled tank, fishless or fish-in regardless, but it's still not something to overcompensate for.

We're welcome to share different opinions. I'm not sure of the OP's tank size, but there's obviously a difference between adding 6 fish to a 55, as opposed to 6 fish into a 10 gallon.

We're welcome to share different opinions. I'm not sure of the OP's tank size, but there's obviously a difference between adding 6 fish to a 55, as opposed to 6 fish into a 10 gallon.

+1 with eco23 ... While I would imagine adding 6 H. Rasboras shouldn't tax a well established tank ... IMO the missing component is the OP's tank size and current stock. All that's been mentioned by the OP is adding schooling fish like Harlequins.

If your looking to do H. Rasboras (which I'm also considering stocking) you could do 6 at a time since they have relatively small bio-loads. I'd personally do 4 (to keep a shoal) ... let them acclimate and see how they do .. then add another two later on.

I added 52 fish to my 125 at once, some full grown rainbows, barbs, big tetras... no small fish... I'd be amazed to see a small school of fish wreck an established tank. Oh, and I fed them flakes too... not NLS

+1 with eco23 ... While I would imagine adding 6 H. Rasboras shouldn't tax a well established tank ... IMO the missing component is the OP's tank size and current stock. All that's been mentioned by the OP is adding schooling fish like Harlequins.

I think we can assume he's not putting 6 oscars in a 10g. I added about 15 to my 75 a week or so ago, it's planted, but cycle-phobia probably isn't warranted IMO.

Back
Top Bottom