How many fish at one time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, since it looks like I can have more fish in my tank, how many fish can I add at at a time, keeping with the inch per gallon rule of thumb? I do not want to be right at the limit either so they have room to grow?

Thank you.

3 to 5 at a time should be ok and won't stress them out too much. What type of tank are you planning to run? Community, Cichlid, other?

You could add up to 5 small fish at a time, I think. Bigger fish probably 1-2 would be best. I'd say you have a good 8 inches more of fish you can add.

one other note is the inch per gallon is just a general guideline. some fish like angelfish require more than the inch per gallon. Some say anywhere from 10-20 gal per angelfish.

I would maybe start with a couple more serpaes as they are happier in groups. Maybe add 3 to have a nice round 5. See how the tank does and add a couple others down the road a little bit.

be careful about clown loaches as they can reach 10-12" when full grown. i think they might be too big for the current set-up. Have you considered cory cats. They are a smal active bottom dweller that come in many colors and sizes.

Hey RoK and Mazdaman,

I got 3 serpaes and two diamond tetras last night. We'll see how they do in a few days, but... you guys were right! The two serpaes I had were always hiding under the plants, now that they "feel safe in numbers" they are roaming the tank all together!

As I said, I'll see how it goes and then i may get company for the rasboras and the barb. I know, I know... not too many just one or two of each.... and more WCs

Thank you!
:smilecolros:

When picking out your new fish, ask the person at the pet store how large the fish should get when full grown. Let this be the guide to how many fish you put in your tank. For example, if the Loaches get 10-12" then that is 10-12 gallons devoted just to that fish. (of course there are exceptions) But I would definately say no go on the loaches. They get fairly agressive when full size. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom