how many fish for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just added 2 new fish to my 10 gallon.i added a cory catfish and a fancy guppy.im planning to get a dwarf gourami soon but just wanna know how many fish can i have in a 10 gallon? :fish1:

First of all your tank has to be cycled.

I'm assuming the above is true so then here are some ideas

You could do a planted tank with shrimp and mystery snails

OR a Betta with snails (he/she might eat them)

OR some nano fish like ember tetras or some others that I forget the names of ;)

Some other members will have ideas though

The cories are recommended in groups of 4 or more so they are not a good idea for a 10. If you get guppies and accidentally get a male and female they will breed and really overstock your tank. IMO your tank is already over stocked with the additions you would have to make. Also I'm not sure if they will get too big and be too active for a 10.
Also, what are the params of your tank and what filter do you have?

yes my tank has been cycled...well the sales man told me it was ok to have a cory and a guppy together so thats why i purchased them first.im planning on gettin a dwarf gourami but they had sold there last one that day so im waiting til they get more to get one.and my filter is a aquatech 5-15. i just wanna know how many fish i can have ..im just hoping atleast 4:ermm:

p.s- since i only got one cory will it die since it just by itself??? i see hes super active in my tank.while the guppy isnt too exciting too look at .sometimes i cant even see where its at

janeth0185 said:
i just added 2 new fish to my 10 gallon.i added a cory catfish and a fancy guppy.im planning to get a dwarf gourami soon but just wanna know how many fish can i have in a 10 gallon? :fish1:

I apologize but before I can advise I need some more information.

What kind of Corydoras? All species of Corydoras are social and prefer/need to be in groups of at least 3.

What kind of tank are you wanting to do?

I personally enjoy having a group of small fish as compared to one Betta or one Dwarf Gourami.

Planning on plants?

janeth0185 said:
yes my tank has been cycled...well the sales man told me it was ok to have a cory and a guppy together so thats why i purchased them first.im planning on gettin a dwarf gourami but they had sold there last one that day so im waiting til they get more to get one.and my filter is a aquatech 5-15. i just wanna know how many fish i can have ..im just hoping atleast 4:ermm:

The cory and the guppy will go together comparability wise. Thats what the salesman was talking about. The cory would be much happier in a group. If you did nano fish you could probably get close to 7-8 and maybe a snail. The only other thing is you might want to upgrade is your filter. Most people recommend a filter for double your tank size.

I apologize but before I can advise I need some more information.

What kind of Corydoras? All species of Corydoras are social and prefer/need to be in groups of at least 3.

What kind of tank are you wanting to do?

I personally enjoy having a group of small fish as compared to one Betta or one Dwarf Gourami.

Planning on plants?

the one i got is a spoted cory....and well no plants, i have fake plants in there..i have a sponge bob theme in my aquarium since its our first tank i wanted to be mainly my son's.well now im kinda worried for my cory since i wont be able to get more fish til a week 1/2 from now .dont want it to die:(and the store is kinda far for me to go back and return it.

Last edited:
I had one Cory by itself for almost two weeks till I could get him some buddies and he was fine;) I wouldnt stress about him but I would pick a few more up when ya can. And I don't know why you are overstocked as stated earlier?!?! I don't see why you couldn't do a small school of nano fish as well as the cories. Although everyone says Pygmy cories are best in the smaller tanks:) and sponge bob rocks!! I have his and squid worths houses in my 55!!!

The cory and the guppy will go together comparability wise. Thats what the salesman was talking about. The cory would be much happier in a group. If you did nano fish you could probably get close to 7-8 and maybe a snail. The only other thing is you might want to upgrade is your filter. Most people recommend a filter for double your tank size.

if i upgrade my filter , do i gotta cycle the tank again since it will be a new filter??? or what do i do...i heard that all that nasty stuff already in the filter is good for the tank .not sure what i can do .not too familiar with all this since im just learning bout the hobby and its my first tank.
and about the cory, can i get 2 other corys later on along with a dwarf gourami or will that be over stocking my tank? or how bout some neon tetras instead of the DG with 2 other corys??

If you got another filter, just run the 2 filters at the same time for about 3 weeks that way you don't have to cycle your tank again. Some members recommend them in nothing smaller than a 20 gallon others day 10 is fine. I'm going to let someone else answer this question.

I had one Cory by itself for almost two weeks till I could get him some buddies and he was fine;) I wouldnt stress about him but I would pick a few more up when ya can. And I don't know why you are overstocked as stated earlier?!?! I don't see why you couldn't do a small school of nano fish as well as the cories. Although everyone says Pygmy cories are best in the smaller tanks:) and sponge bob rocks!! I have his and squid worths houses in my 55!!!

thanks..i was kinda worried bout my cory .but yea as soon as i can ill be gettin a few more corys.:)

The ember tetras, blue, or dwarf rasboras, or jae barbs are all suitable nano fish.

I'm guessing the cory your on about is a peppered or sterbai cory. They ideally need homes of 20+ gallons, and to be in groups. Someone said your tank is overstocked but I don't think you are. If I were you, rehome the cory and get4-5 Pygmy Cories, then a small school of nano fish and then your dwarf gourami and guppy.

janeth0185 said:
the one i got is a spoted cory....and well no plants, i have fake plants in there..i have a sponge bob theme in my aquarium since its our first tank i wanted to be mainly my son's.well now im kinda worried for my cory since i wont be able to get more fish til a week 1/2 from now .dont want it to die:(and the store is kinda far for me to go back and return it.

Sounds like a peppered cory. They can get up to 3 inches long. That's a little too big. The other problem with this is that they need groups of at least 5. I would try to rehome the spotted cory and get 6 pygmy cories instead. What method did you use to cycle your tank?

janeth0185 said:
thanks..i was kinda worried bout my cory .but yea as soon as i can ill be gettin a few more corys.:)

If you got more of the larger cories like peppered, it will overstock your tank. Pygmy cories would be a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom