How many guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 9 guppy fry in a 10g. I was wondering could I keep all of them in there even when they're adults? I already have a plan for the thousands of fry. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I will say no. That is a ton of guppies for a 10g. I will agree that water quality plays a very large part in proper development, but you will be fighting against the grain with overstocking like that to actually keep them all healthy long term. My suspicion is that if you tried it, your fish will likely live awhile, but tend to die rather young.
Furthermore, your signature indicates you also have 3 adults in a 10g plus apple snails. If that is the same tank, then you definitely need to upgrade. Though, it may not be. :)

I think that it should be fine if they are the only fish in the tank and if the water quality is good.

I will say no. That is a ton of guppies for a 10g. I will agree that water quality plays a very large part in proper development, but you will be fighting against the grain with overstocking like that to actually keep them all healthy long term. My suspicion is that if you tried it, your fish will likely live awhile, but tend to die rather young.
Furthermore, your signature indicates you also have 3 adults in a 10g plus apple snails. If that is the same tank, then you definitely need to upgrade. Though, it may not be. :)

1+
I had 9 guppies in a ten gallon and this is exactly what happened. There is also the possibility of stunted growth due to not enough space. As the fish can get to 2 inches long

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry but I need to update my signature it would only be 5 Apple snails and the 9 guppy fry. I do weekly water changes of about 15-20% every Saturday. I can always up the amount of water being taken out though.

I recommend doing 50% PWC's every week. I do this on all my tanks. Very beneficial for fish (and plants).

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Just make sure you do weekly 50% water changes and they should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm maybe I'll just give a few away it seems that would be better for all of them. Thanks for the help!

It should also be noted that 5 apple snails make a ton of waste. So, you have even less wiggle room with them in there.
Glad to hear you are downsizing a bit. :) If you have not already done this, I definitely suggest getting a water test kit. It might be the most helpful thing for you to be able to keep track of you water parameters to know how much water you need to be changing on your pwcs.

I have 9 guppy fry in a 10g. I was wondering could I keep all of them in there even when they're adults? I already have a plan for the thousands of fry. Thanks in advance!
If you've got a good filtration, good light, much greens, not overfeeding and WPC in 2w (max.) period, I can't see any problem here (just not thousands at one moment, but some tens maybe)...

My betta recently died ? so the guppies are in his tank and the snails are in their own now.

Back
Top Bottom