How many more Cory's would you add? Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
75g with current stock of:
-40 cherry barbs
-13 peppered Cory's
-12 otocinclus catfish

Since my Cory's spawned and the fry should be hatching in less than 12 hours (close to 80 fertile eggs), I am trying to decide how many I plan to keep and add to my current group.

Aqadvisor says that with my current stock and my cory group at 30, it puts the tank at 118% which I think is more than fine. Considering I ran my tank for a year with 135% stock based on AQ with a more diverse community with no issues.

I just want some feedback from experience people instead of a online calculator. So what do you guys think? How many Cory's total should I go for?

Last edited by a moderator:
30 corys would look outstanding imo. I'd do it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Go for 30. Not too many. If you keep up with normal water changes you should be good to go. I personally wouldn't go past 130% stocking level. Your cory's are going to love the huge group!!

You could fill it wall to wall, as long as you did large enough water changes weekly( definitely not saying you should) . I see Aqadvisor as a mere toy, I've played with it and found if 2 fish conflict a simple yet still conflicting swap changes what they say. Let's say apisto agassizi and corydoras aenus, I was able to switch to a more aggressive apisto species and everything was cool according to them.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
So what exactly are you suggesting in terms of how many Cory's. Keep in mind they will all be adult size in about a year.

Corys are so fun! I think you could do 30 in a 75 no problem. They love to live in groups. I've been fortunate enough to see them in a 100g aquarium and they are really breath taking when they all swim and move as a group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost 6 days old and they haven't hatched yet... I am a little worried and away from town ATM, will return home tomorrow morning.

Almost 6 days old and they haven't hatched yet... I am a little worried and away from town ATM, will return home tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing they were not fertilized or got fungus which happens very often but it's pretty visible. If you go to the breeding section there are a lot of threads about the woes of cory breeding. I'm having issues keeping my wigglers alive. I use methylene blue in with my eggs and have a great hatch rate but it's after they hatch that I'm doing something wrong

I can see the babies inside the eggs moving.. All the unfertilized eggs were removed by me. I can't figure out why they are not hatching. Maybe later today or tomorrow hopefully. My tank temp is 75. Maybe a bit too cool?

I keep my temps at 75 or lower so I wouldn't think that's it.

I'd like to see it as well. ;) I really like big tanks that have big groupings on one type of fish instead of a Mish mash of whatever was on sale at lfs.

Yeah and please let me know what happens with the cory situation.

here are some pics and video as promised.

don't mind the algae, I am going through some new tank symptoms. with the new scape and substrate I haven't been able to get things to settle in just yet.

https://youtu.be/Ov6y9jYnMoI

https://youtu.be/BiI3fyRs-Mc

videos will / may still be processing

Attachments

• P9300709.jpg
    P9300709.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P9300710.jpg
    P9300710.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom